Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Evaluating students.... :O    

Evaluating students.... :O

magneto
Greece

Thank you for sharing these links, Sylvie! Hug

9 Jun 2010     

kodora
Greece

You made my day!Your comments are absolutely great! The fact is I feel "relieved" that parents are the same all around the world and we all -more or less-face the same problems.Another problem we face in Greece is that the majority of children learn English at private English schools so  English at state school is widely considered to be sth like free time activities.First we have to persuade the students that our presence in their timetable is not unnecessary
and they can and have to try to learn sth more.Second we have to face the parents who think that since the apple of their eye attends a private English school already knows everything so he/she doesn �t deserve the low marks they get.But  we don �t give up!!!!!
Have a nice day!
Dora

9 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Difficult parents here in Japan are called �Monster Parents � (there was even a tv drama based on the phenomenon a couple of years ago).

Fortunately I don �t have to interact directly with the parents where I teach & the head of the English Department actually backs up my assessment & reports without hesitation!

This article will give ypou a taste of �Monster parents �, Japan style. It �ll make you appreciate the parents you have to deal with elsewhere around the globe.

Oh, & yes, I �ve actually seen & heard things like the examples given in the article.

Extremely scary! 

Cheers,
Ab

9 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

...Ok, AB, that IS scary! I don �t think I �m ever going to complain again!
Stay strong!
P.S.: Such parents should be executed, I think...

9 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Ha ha - FANTABULOUS post and some very very very enertaining contributions.  I must say AB, that �s not a good ad for attracting teachers to Japan.

I �d like to contribute one too, that I saved in my bookmarks sometime last year after a colleague e-mailed the link to me at reporting time.  it �s not as genteel but it certainly rings a bell at times.

Enjoy!

9 Jun 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

I don �t study English at a secondry school so thaks God I don �t have any argues with parents,
but I have another kind of problem which bother me very much. I teach future actors. And their Masters, Artistic Directors usually tell me that THEY ARE SO TALENTED! THEY DANCE LIKE ULANOVA! THEY SING GODLIKE! etc ...That means they don �t need to make any progress in English and I don �t have the right to give them unsatisfactory marks. But I do and every semester I choose a couple of victims whom I can �t evaluate. Yes, at the end of our course they play parts from the classic plays in English and it is not a problem for them at all to learn the English text by heart. But what about the English grammar???  
I hate it and try to prove that young people who don �t want to feel like a bump on a log and dream to play in Hollywood (they all are very ambitious in their teens) have to speak foreign languages! 

9 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

I don �t know about you fellas, but I �ve saved all these "code messages" (the one �s from Jayho �s link included) in a Word doc for future reference....Evil Smile

9 Jun 2010     

meuge
Argentina

Dear ones!!!!
I don �t know how to say THANK YOU in an appropriate way!!!!! You all wrote amazing contributions!
Of course I do most of the things you mentioned as regards assessment and behavior ,I�ve been teaching English for 17 years now� so I was sure I had seen all� it seems I hadn�t  ;) � I just wanted to know that I am not alone and now I am certain I �m not...

Manonski AS someone said, you are a really lucky teacher!
Lindsey I already told you I love those remarks� I couldn�t stop laughing! And Silke yours made me laugh and cry!!!! Thank you!

Zoe Thank you for your comments�I agree with you�

Mariana That is a great method� I will try to apply it�!

Bruna I love that cartoon!! I have it with the captions in Spanish! And believe me.. I am an old-school parent� My own kids, the four of them attend the same school where I work� I teach to two of them (Picture that! I don�t know if it happens to you, but I ask from them more than I do from their fellows�) and Magneto teaching your colleagues children is hard work too� and Dora you have a point there� in Argentina at least have or more of the children in each course learn English privately so they think that English as school is free time for them� and so they think it�s not necessary�. That is what happened to this student in particular�  his father thinks he doesn�t deserve that mark as he is learning English in another place. I should have had Silke�s or Lindsay�s list to show it to him!!! Evil SmileBig smileLOL

Thank you AB ( there are lots of teachers here suffering from stress...I was near...) , Sylvie and Jayho for the links! I have saved them and I�m going to go through them carefully!

Cannot find the words to thank you people!!!Thumbs Up

I would love more teachers share their experiences!!

Hugs!Hug

M. Eugenia

9 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3