Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Mac users with iWork    

Mac users with iWork

maayyaa
Slovenia

Mac users with iWork

Hello y �all!

I �ve just switched to a MacBook and I love it. The only problem (apart from the fact that my keyboard is a hybrid of American and Slovenian and I cannot find keyboard shortcuts I �m used to, etc.) is that when I download worksheets the Pages application / programme throws the contents all over the place and the worksheets are useless, i.e. not ready for printing. I would really appreciate it if there �s anybody who can help me. 

Thanks!

PS. I don �t really want to buy Office for Mac as I quite enjoy the iWork applications.

9 Jun 2010      

Babs1966
France

Sorry I wish I could have helped you but I �m not an expert on Mac Confused
I had a similar problem using openoffice (the pages didn �t stay the way I created them)
I switched back to office2007

9 Jun 2010     

frenchfrog
France

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/iwork/ maybe?

9 Jun 2010     

maayyaa
Slovenia

Thanks, but I �ve watched the tutorials already and the problem �s still there. Confused

9 Jun 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi maayyaa
I �ve been a mac user ever since, but I really don �t understand what your problem may be, except that you work with Iwork and you download pages in word.doc, so probably you are trying to open the printables with an application which is not suitable. I don �t have iwork, otherwise I would try and see the result. This is the only reason I can see.
Hope you solve your problem, good luck
linda

9 Jun 2010     

maayyaa
Slovenia

Heya Linda,

when I got the iWork for Mac I read the descriptions and how it �s suppossed to work and it said that in Pages (which has the same function as Word in Office) you can open and work on .doc documents as well. And my problem is that the .doc documents open, but all the borders, frames, texts etc. get thrown all over the page. And so they are pretty much useless - well, they require a lot of work before I can print them, so it �s almost like creating them from scratch. 

I also cannot figure out how to save them directly (like I used to in Word & Mozilla - just click on download and save as and voila...). 

I hope there is someone out there who can help me :-) 

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

9 Jun 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Sorry I was not that helpful. Keep posting the thread, there are many mac users around. May be someone can help.
Good luck.
linda

9 Jun 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

"iWork also has support for both traditional and "Open XML" Office Files but can have moderate compatibility issues with Word files containing complex formatting or Word-specific features � as will be the case with all word processors which must reverse-engineer Microsoft �s file formats or don �t include the exact same feature set. Some very old Word files will not open in Pages, but they will generally open in TextEdit. If you use iWork and you want to send files to Windows users that don �t require editing it is probably better to send them as a PDF."

In short, it �s the incompatibility of the two programs.  They aren �t synced up well enough to have a perfect transition for documents with complex formatting.  

9 Jun 2010     

maayyaa
Slovenia

Hmmm, it looks like you might be right and I won �t be able to use ESL printables WSs in Pages - Cry I �ve tried TextEdit and loads of options in Pages, but no luck. 

Still, I have hope - after all HP has no drivers for Mac for Color LaserJet CP1215, but there is a way to make it work, so fingers crossed Smile

Good night and thanks for all your answers.

9 Jun 2010