Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Vocab Q: ´Meal... ´?    

Vocab Q: ´Meal... ´?

Petpet
Czech Republic

Vocab Q: ´Meal... ´?

Hello everybody,

I ´d like to ask about an expression that describes a kind of benefit some employees in the Czech Republic still get. They are special "vouchers" or "tickets" for meals.

I have been told that a "meal ticket" sounds funny because of its multiple meanings and that in Britain there used to be "food stamps" after the WWII. I think the meaning  is different and the expression is certainly dated anyway.

I use "meal vouchers", but it does not sound correct to British ears.

Is there any word or expression you would use for this kind of benefit?

Thanks a lot,

Petra

9 Jun 2010      

ituska
Slovakia

I ´ve heard a British guy called it "food vouchers" (you can pay for some meal at a restaurant or food at a shop with them)

9 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Petpet

Here downunder we call them gift vouchers.  They are often used by employers as staff incentives and bonuses.  Sometimes the vouchers for resturants are called restaurant vouchers however gift voucher is the broad term used and understood by Australians (but I ´m not sure about other countries).  You can see some examples here.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

Petra,
I ´m unclear on who receives these, and where they are used. Do you take them to a restaurant?

Bruce

10 Jun 2010     

regina. di
Brazil

I ´m pretty sure you call them "food vouchers". I was teaching business English and this is what appeared in the book.
Best wishes,
Regina.

10 Jun 2010     

dturner
Canada

I put my vote in for meal voucher or restaurant voucher.  I agree that meal ticket has an after WWII odd ring to it.  I would also use the word "voucher" only if I was using it in a cafeteria or a restaurant for a meal.  The meal is implied.  "I have a voucher." "I ´m using a voucher for the/my meal."

10 Jun 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Meal voucher sounds OK to me.

When I worked late I used to receive a ´meal allowance ´ which was extra pay to cover the cost of a meal.

10 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Petpet

Bruce is right - what is the context?  Can you please

If it is a regular feature as part of an employees working conditions we call it a meal allowance or meal voucher.  Apodo mentions this and this is the correct term in Australia for that context.  Not sure about other countries though.

If it is as an occassional incentive or bonus then my previous answer applies.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Jun 2010