Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Very young learners    

Very young learners

marta_marta
Poland

Very young learners

Dear All,

I �d like to ask for your help. I �m going to start teaching very young learners (2-4-year-olds) soon. I don �t have any experience in working with such young students so I �d be grateful if you could suggest some books, articles or websites about the subject. If you could share your experiences, I �d also appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Marta

15 Jun 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

My students are a couple of years older but they love songs and stories. When picking a story, make sure the illustrations are really helpful to the story and help the students understand. I usually prepare flashcards of the important words in a story or a song.

Songs that students can dance to or are very repetitive usually have the most success. If you go to http://bussongs.com/ you �ll find a list of songs that you could use with your little ones.

http://www.supersimplesongs.com/  have some songs on youtube that could also help you.

If you want to add easy crafts or activities to complement your songs and stories, http://www.first-school.ws/ is a site for preschoolers so the activities should be appropriate for your students.

Remember that kids that age a very little short attention span. You will not be able to do the same thing for a whole hour. My classes are 50 minutes. I usually divide it in 3 or 4: I review what we �ve seen, I present the new song or story, then do a little bit of crafting or coloring on the topic we are working on.

Good luck!

15 Jun 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Hello, Marta

I had some experience of teaching 3-4 year old kids some time ago. I used Oxford book  �Cookie and friends Starter �. They liked simple songs, colouring of small pictures ( �small � because holding a pencil and colouring was a very difficult task for some of them), simple memory games (with just 6 cards), �what �s missing � game with 4-5 cards (you place 4-5 cards on the board, revise the names of the objects in the cards then kids close their eyes and you take one card away. Kids open their eyes and try to call the �name � of the missing card.)
You can also have a look at www.dreamenglish.com. There are a lot of free songs for very young learners there.

I hope it helps.

Have a nice day!
Larisa

15 Jun 2010     

kopciuszek
Poland

Hello,
I can recommend you NEW SPARKS STARTER (Oxford). I use NEW SPARKS 1,2 and 3 but STARTER is for younger students. If you have any questions please contact me.
Anna

15 Jun 2010     

intra
Poland

I teach my sons (a 2- and a 4-year-old) using "My First English Adventure Starter". It �s based on Disney characters they adore, many chants and songs, a lot of revision. It seems to be suitable for 3-year-olds. The teacher �s book contains useful tips and additional materials. You can find the course at englishtips.org
If you wish, contact me for more info ;)

15 Jun 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

Thank you for your kind help :) I will definitely go through all the coursebooks and websites.
Do you happen to know any books about theories behind teaching 2-4-year-olds?

Thanks again!
Marta

16 Jun 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

If anybody else is interested in the subject, here �s what I found on the net:

link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5
link 6