Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Private class cancellations    

Private class cancellations

colibrita
United Kingdom

Private class cancellations

Hi, I was just wondering....

Those of you who give private one-to-one classes do you charge your students when they cancel without any notice?

Have a lovely weekend

La Colibrita

18 Jun 2010      

Enid Stella
South Africa

Hi La Colibrita

It depends on the circumstances and the student - if the student is usually reliable and can �t attend due to circumstances beyond their control, then I wouldn �t charge. Otherwise I think you should charge - you have, after all, set that time aside for them and they should have the courtesy to let you know timeously if they can �t attend so that you can make other plans.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to set the rules at the beginning of the relationship so that all parties are aware of the �contract �.
Greetings from South Africa!
Enid

18 Jun 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, Colibrita,

I don �t teach privatly myself, but I know the market in Moscow.
I know that the most respected and professional English teachers who
can really make students know the language, are very highly paid and
demand payments for the class even the sudent misses it. It �s a widely
used practice now.  

18 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Apart from the school, I work privately and yes, ss have a fixed fee and they pay it even if they are absent - just as they do at private schools here. But Enid is right, knowing the ss, if it �s sth beyond their control, like being sick, one sometimes considers the case ...

18 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I used to give private French lessons and when a student cancelled the session I charged the lesson depending on the context:
- once my student - who was a lawyer - had car troubles and I didn �t want to charge her, but she insisted to pay.
- I also taught to a high school students who wanted to improve her grades to go to a better college and she stood me up several times, so I told her parents that it was fair that I should be paid since I waited for her and she never called to cancel or say she would have to reschedule - she hardly said sorry...

so i guess you can do as i did and depending on the situation decide to charge or not!

take care

18 Jun 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I give private classes and I charge them if they don �t cancel . Normally I charge at the beginning of the month.

18 Jun 2010     

feii
Greece

Dear Colibrita,

I work in a private English school in Greece and also give private lessons.
From what I can see all the above charge children that cancel.

Personally I believe it �s rude to charge someone who has cancelled but that �s my opinion.
I guess you can lay down the rules beforehand and come to an agreement. 

It �s up to the individual i guess.

Have a nice weekend..

18 Jun 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I charge all the classes of the month in advance. If the student cancels it, class will be replaced after that. 

18 Jun 2010     

sarahjane68
Germany

Hello Colibrita,

I don �t charge for cancelled lessons, I never have, and I �ve done this in different countries for many, many years. It seems unfair to charge my students for this. I usually get enough warning so I can have another student come instead if I wish. If a student leaves it to the last minute to cancel, there �s usually a very good reason for it such as sickness or their car has broken down.

Everyone must do what works for them but, although I work to earn money that I need, at the same time it �s not just a business for me. I love what I do, I enjoy my lessons. I see my students as people, not just a way to make money and so I wouldn �t charge them for cancelling. It �s not just about the money for me. I also don �t believe that if I charge my students when they cancel, it will boost my reputation as a teacher, make my students respect me more. It doesn �t necessarily make you a better teacher to charge when they cancel.

You have to do what �s right for you. Everyone does things to suit them. You have to do the same. 

Good luck!!!

Sarah

18 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

I charge by the month. I will "make up" a class if a student cancels beforehand but not afterwards unless it �s something serious like they had an accident, car broke down, etc. I won �t make up classes if they don �t phone beforehand, want to change the class because they have soccer or catechism (very common excuse) or don �t show up at all.

My reasoning is this:

I am there waiting for you. Does your football or swimming class instructor make up the hour when you don �t go? No, they don �t, so why should I? People really need to get their priorities straight. English is much more important than a football match, a hair appointment or violin lesson... sorry but it is.... the world is a globalised place and English is more and more important.

And I do love what I do - A LOT! And what irks me to no end is people who don �t appreciate that. I will move mountains to make them understand and if they don �t have the decency to at least respect what I do and call to cancel a class, then I think, "you have lost the class. I was here waiting and it was inconsiderate of you to leave me here waiting when I could be doing other things." Unfortunately, Time can be money, or at least worksheets that can be prepared! 

18 Jun 2010     

annabelle1654
Germany

I have stated it before I start classes, on the initial form, that I need 24 hours notice for a cancellation. I think if you haven �t said it, then they don �t know, then I agree with the comments of the others. 
Good luck!

18 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >