Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Jose Saramago     

Jose Saramago

anaisabel001
Spain

Jose Saramago

Nobel Literature Jose Saramago dies at 87.  RIP.

Some of his quotes:

ï¿½In the end we discover the only condition for living is to die.�

�I am only someone who, when he writes, lifts a stone and shows what is underneath. It is not my fault if monsters come out of there from time to time �

�Inside us there is something that has no name, that something is what we are.�

18 Jun 2010      

Mariethe House
France

Madrid, 17 oct (PL) Le prix Nobel de Litt�rature Jos� Samarago a d�clar� que l�actuelle crise mondiale constitue un crime contre l�humanit� et doit �tre analys�e comme telle  � dans les d�bats publics ou dans les consciences � Jose Saramago

approximate translation: The nobel Prize Jose Saramago has declared that the actual world crisis is a crime against humanity and must be analyzed as such in public debates and consciences.

"I can �t imagine myself outside any kind of social or political involvement. "
Jose Saramago

edit You are right my dear Almaz!! Thanks for correcting me!!Smile

18 Jun 2010     

mariaah
Spain

Hi everyone:
Jos� Saramago was one of my favourite writers. He was an excellent writer. His books always carry important messages for human beings.
                                                                                        Unhappy

18 Jun 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sad to hear of Saramago �s death. I read one of his books some years ago (in English - it was set during the Spanish Civil War - can �t remember the title) - it was hard-going at first, as I recall, but worth sticking with. I actually remember him more for his involvement in certain causes which I sympathised with at the time.

Mariethe, love the quote but I would suggest that he stated that the current global crisis is a crime against humanity and should be analyzed as such "in public debates or according to individual conscience" - but I �m open to criticism (I haven �t done any real translation work in years...).

Alex

18 Jun 2010