Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to play jeopardy    

How to play jeopardy

dvd-oke
Indonesia

How to play jeopardy

Hi everyone, would any of you please tell me how to play jeopardy and how to score the students in the game. Tx.

24 Jun 2010      

pallmand
Japan

I use Jeopardy in two different ways, depending on my goal.

However, instead of having students make a question (like on the TV show), I ask a question and they give just the answer.  This works better for me, since my students are lower level.

The setup is the same: 5 or 6 categories with 5-6 questions each.  I usually go with 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 point questions.  Of course, the lower points are easier questions.  In my larger classes (35-40 students), I divide them in to groups, usually 6.  I sometimes have them turn their desks into groups.  Sometimes I leave them in rows and have the 1st person stand for question 1; the 2nd person for question 2, and so on.

Here are the two ways I play:

1) Both my questions and the student �s answers are verbal.  I used to subtract points for wrong answers, but later decided I wanted to be more "positive", so I award points for correct answers and deduct nothing for wrong answers (at least they are trying...).

2) Recently I have preferred using small whiteboards and having students write the answer.  I like this way because of the scoring.  Each team that can write the correct answer receives points, so often every team gets high scores.  The first team to answer gets double points.

Hope this helps!

24 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

This is a great site for a super good game of jeopardy.
It has a timer - room for 5 teams and automatically keeps score!
You download the program - make the categories online and save it
to your computer or USB pen. You can also play it online if you remember
the number they give you.
My sts love it!

http://www.superteachertools.com/jeopardy/usergames/Jun201024/game1276781878.php

L

24 Jun 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Pallmand, I do love your way of playing jeopardy with the students writing the answer.
(it might save my sanity)

I love using jeopardy but it can get very competitive and extremely noisy.
I have adult groups so they work in groups of 3 as a team. They use bells. The first person to ring the bell must answer immediately.
If the answer is incorrect they lose the points. It becomes quite hilarious when you have teams with negative 500. These students are adults and getting them to try is easy so I can get away with the negative numbers.

Usually I have sentences with mistakes to correct or gap fills for them to complete. I focus on a particular grammar point, eg articles, prepositions, relative clauses.

Do give it a go...it is fun.
Cheers Joy

24 Jun 2010