Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which or that?    

Which or that?

Poohbear
Germany

Which or that?

Dear colleagues,

at 27 degrees I �m busy correcting our final examinations, which were held today, B1-level....

There is one item on which I �d like to ask you, natives and language experts alike, for your opinion.

In the Use of English section, there is the following sentence:

Alaskans also use the tern "Alaskan Native", _________________ (???) includes all Eskimo, Aleut and Indian people of Alaska.

The solution given in the official documents is, of course, which.

My doubt:
Is "that" also correct?

And if yes / no, why (not)?

I �d be grateful for any explanation.

Hugs
Petra

25 Jun 2010      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello :)
We don �t use a comma before �that �, that�s why it�s impossible to use it here.
Hugs !!
PS And also it just doesnt sound right there if you say the sentence with �that� ;)

25 Jun 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

Since it is a NON-defining Relative Clause, that cannot be used. That could only be used  if it were a Defining one. Hope I was useful!

25 Jun 2010     

mariamit
Greece

I agree with Teresa. Non-defining ornon identifying clauses cannot use "that".

25 Jun 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

What if it �s not looked at as a relative pronoun? What if it �s considered a compound sentence?

,(and) that includes....? Wouldn �t a "that" be possible then?

25 Jun 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

I think it �s a relative clause, which refers to "Alaskan Native" and it gives additional/further information about it.

25 Jun 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Regina,  it can �t be a compound sentence. Compound sentences contain two independent clauses joined by a coordinator. The second part is not independent. It can �t stand alone.Also it is definitely non defining because it simply adds an extra p[iece of information. It doesn �t define Alaskan Native so we are back to Teresa �a original explanation.

25 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hmm... I �d have to agree somewhat with Blunderbuster... especially since there is no "other part" to the non-defining clause!

Non-defining gives us extra info and usually goes in the middle... here we don�t really have that.

Alaskans also use the term "Alaskan Native" - **main sentence, right?** _________________ (???) includes all Eskimo, Aleut and Indian people of Alaska. - and this is the supposed clause but actually, without this sentence the main sentence is incomplete and that is not the function of a non-defining clause.

25 Jun 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

I like  Harry Potter, which is a very interesting book!- not always in the middle!

25 Jun 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Linda if as you say the main clause is incomplete, it cannot be a compound sentence. Both parts of a compound sentence can stand alone. So what else can it be if not a relative clause?

25 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Well, in my opinion, it looks like a Defining Clause but it sounds weird using "that", so I am going to agree with what Kate said. "We don �t use a comma before "that""...

25 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >