Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Last day of School Traditions    

The Last day of School Traditions

libertybelle
United States

The Last day of School Traditions

Today is a very special day in Denmark.
It is the last day of school, graduation is over.
and now  a very special tradition begins.

Every High School graduation class has decorated a truck
with banners and flowers and they travel from house to house
visiting each student �s family - where they eat and drink for 15 minutes and then on to the next house. That �s a lot of houses to visit because they are usually 24 in a class.  They party for the rest of the night at the last house.
You can hear the trucks honking and the kids in the back of the truck singing and cheering all through the streets and people wave and wish them good luck.
It �s such a great tradition!  How is it in your country?

25 Jun 2010      

teresapr
Portugal

In Portugal high school sts just commemorate with a dinner and a ball. That type of truck is typical of university sts. When they are finishing their studies and getting their degree(last year) each college decorates a truck which goes along the town while sts sing, shout and drink very happily...

25 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Wow! That is such a wonderful tradition Lisa! I love it!! Smile

Here, the only traditions that I know of, are the typical end of year dinner with classmates; and students burning their school books in the huge bonfires on The Eve of Saint John the Baptist that is celebrated on June 23 in many parts of Spain. 

25 Jun 2010     

maria da rosa
Brazil

Unfortunately my country is crawling in this question of EDUCATION!

25 Jun 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I graduated from my University today))The celebration here depends on the University. Our ceremony was rather short and formal. The professors congratulated us, we gave them flowers and went to celebrate it to a cafe.

25 Jun 2010     

sulekra
Australia

Here in the Czech Republic there �s a great tradition of all the students dressing up and walking the streets asking for money so they can drink and celebrate, and they actually get a surpringly large amount of people donating:) In Australia though my last day involved eggs, water balloons and flour and generally making a mess than any sort of creativity - with these ingredients we probably should have made a cake instead!;)

25 Jun 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Here in Israel (In our school at least) the 6th graders, finishing primary, have an end of the year party which involves theather sketches (usually humorous) and slideshows with pictures, speeches etc. All the teachers who ever taught them are invited as well as parents etc. of course. High school graduates do something similar.( and party afterwards)
Upon finishing highschool in Holland (in my time) we would hang our schoolbags and books (tied to a rope) from the window, somethimes together with a flag to catch attention as a sign someone in the house graduated.
When I graduated from the university (also in Holland) we just had a very fancy ceremony and an equally fancy gathering for a drink and congratulations (the kind where you stand with a glass of wine in your hands and shake hands with people you don �t know, no sitting....) Maybe it was formal because I studied Law, a less formal approach might be the norm for other studies..

25 Jun 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Lisa, it sounds (and looks) so interesting! We �ve never had trucks involved in Latvia! (There might be students �s cars though Big smile...)
The school leavers in Latvia usually have a big ceremony with the official part - receiving of the certificates, taking group photos, giving flowers to the teachers - followed by a ball with a band and often a table laid in the classrooms. Students are allowed to drink their "first" glass of champagne in the school premises.
Young people often go on with their celebrations in the sauna or a guest house somewhere in the countryside (sometimes with a few adults helping but most often not).

25 Jun 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Congratulations Sonn!

25 Jun 2010     

yolprica
Spain

I had never heard anything about the trucks and sounds really funny. In Spain we have the typical formal dinner with mates, parents and teachers for students who finish their studies at high school and not all high schools do it.
Yolanda 

25 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Lisa, here we just have either an end-of-term trip to some seaside not far away (summer here in Dec) to spend a day or two or more (depends on the money!) and / or a party if they are graduating, usually one with adults in the evening and another one just the classmates, at a disco, later.

26 Jun 2010