Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Activities to go with songs and films    

Activities to go with songs and films

nita551
Spain

Activities to go with songs and films

Hi everyone!

I teach at an academy kids of all levels and ages. I�m trying to prepare some material for next year�s classes, I�m thinking about films and songs; can you guys tell me about different activities you do with them?

Thanks!

28 Jun 2010      

perma
Greece

you can do a lot with films:
comprehension questions (obviously)
show them some snapshots from the film and ask them to describe what is happening / what has just happened / what �s going to happen
take some lines from the dialogues and work on the vocabulary
have the students recreate the dialogues of a particular scene in their own words and role-play it in class

just a few ideas!
I uploaded a worksheet on a film just yesterday actually, you can check it out if you want. Search for "A shot in the dark" It �s an oldie but very funny!

28 Jun 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

For songs:
- Listen and fill in gaps
- Predict the missing words (before listening)
- Correct mistakes
- Re-order the words in a sentence
- Re-order the lines in a paragraph
- Replace some words by the phonemic symbols and they find the word when listening
- Give them synonyms of some words in the song, they have to find them

And of course you can give them information about the group and the song and make a kind of reading comprehension with different activities.

28 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

sent you a pm

28 Jun 2010     

starrr
Brazil

Hey Anita, could you please resend the tips u gave to nita551 about activities with films and songs? I could enjoy them too..

THANKS!Tongue

28 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

sorry - i just got back and saw your message - will send it, no problem

28 Jun 2010     

nita551
Spain

Thanks a lot guys, your ideas are much appreciated.

29 Jun 2010     

tefltunes
United Kingdom

Hello!

For tips and ideas about using songs in class, please come by and see the new site we �ve just set up:

http://www.tefltunes.com/

The lesson plans currently in our database are suitable for teens and adults, but we hope to add a kids section in the future.

Recent feedback we �ve had from one school is that the lessons are perfect to schedule in their syllabus for afternoon skills-based lessons.

Happy teaching!

29 Jun 2010