Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Another question for all teachers    

Another question for all teachers

grimsim
France

Another question for all teachers

Do you think learning a foreign language is a form of charity? In what way?

By charity I mean:giving the gift of expression and communication to others.

28 Jun 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

No way it �s charity if you �re paid for doing your job (teaching, I mean). It �s charity if you do it for free to those who are in need of it but cannot afford to pay for it.
Sophia

28 Jun 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Oh, may be I don �t get your question.

29 Jun 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Did you mean that the foreign language (English in our case) is a gift to all people from the English people? It �s a very disputable question for many people, I think. But as for me, I love it and definitely am glad that English is the language of international communication.Approve
(Sorry for the repetitions)
Sophia

29 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I don �t really understand the question as well... could you explain yourself?
by the way, ueslteacher, you can just edit a post (if you forgot to say something, made a mistake...)
take care!!!

29 Jun 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, I know. It �s just 1.20 in the morning in  my part of the world, so I start acting weirdly. Sorry for taking space. BTW I �m Sophia as I �ve mentioned.
Bye for nowEmbarrassed

29 Jun 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi people,
it �s past midnight here, it seems important to say about time, cause we seem to become , somehow, a little slow mind, as far as the day goes off.
Now, this stated, I have to say that, my case, my school, my country, the way things are here, . ......
YES, it is charity, because I pay my taxes, I work, and I work HARD, and I get a few guys, whose families , somehow, live in some kind of social charity, and are always claiming for their RIGHTS, BUT they always forget about their duties.
This means, for instance, my school year is over. I have had the whole year one student without book, because their parents didn �t buy it. But the little girl always appeared with tons of small itsy bit things, which are worth a few euros, but, no money for the book.

So , this is charity, I have worked all my way, all by my all sides, I did what was impossible to do... to get some feedback from  this little young lady.
I am paid, but I am not paid to do the PARENTS �S tasks.

My opinion, and I have more than 35 years around.
The more you give, the more they demand.
We have to know that we must stop this.
For them and for us. This is not good for anyone

Keep doing the good, right job, don �t forget what our borders are. We are but teachers , and that is a whole, huge task.
Let each one take his own slice of the cake.

Big hugs
linda

29 Jun 2010     

Apodo
Australia

The question was: Do you think learning a foreign language is a form of charity? In what way?

I would say No. Learning is done for oneself isn �t it?
If you learned a language to help others, and for no other reason, I suppose it would be a form of charity.
If you were to teach a foreign language and receive no payment that would be a charity.

It seems to be an odd question and perhaps I haven �t understood your meaning correctly.

29 Jun 2010     

fsams
Maldives

Perhaps teaching a foreign language on voluntary basis is a charity!!!

29 Jun 2010