Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > exercise correct answer    

exercise correct answer

mad_rdg
Germany

exercise correct answer

He has always had a ____ career as a writer.
a) highly successfully
b) highly succesful
c) high successful
d) high successfully

I recevied an answer about this exercise (right answer - "c") but i �ve just checked the answer key and the right answer is "b"...Could you help me?!? Perhaps there �s a printing error, I don �t know...

29 Jun 2010      

silviamvdeo
Uruguay

B is the correct answer since in order to qualify an adjective (successful), we use an adverb (highly).

29 Jun 2010     

sp.watson
Thailand

As Sylvia says, B is the correct answer. 

I think this area causes a lot of confusion as "high" can act as an adjective and be stacked with other adjectives as in "a high, lonely mountain".

But in the example you give the context tells us that it is acting as a modifying adverb and so "highly successful" is the only option that works.

As with many aspects of English grammar, context is everything!

Hope that helps.

29 Jun 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Thumbs Up

29 Jun 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would use(b)  highly successful because the adverb modifier is highly and it modifies the adjective successful.

29 Jun 2010     

MyFairy
Argentina

Clap I agree with you guys! This is an adverb modifying an adjective!!!

29 Jun 2010     

nessita77
Spain

I think it is B.

29 Jun 2010     

douglas
United States

The correct answer is B

29 Jun 2010     

class centre
Belarus

if you  take into account that highly = very , everything  will be clear, won �t it?

29 Jun 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

The answer is B, though it is spelled incorrectly in your post (probably just a typo, I �m guessing).

"highly" is an adverb modifying the adjective "successful". Successful must be an adjective here because it is modifying the noun "career".

Hope that helps.

29 Jun 2010     

uatike
Turkey

highly successful     

29 Jun 2010