Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > GRAMMAR HELP!     

GRAMMAR HELP!

teachergisele
Brazil

GRAMMAR HELP!

People,

I have a doubt about this question... It �s on the book I use with my students...

What is the right option for you?

The policeman got Fred ______________ for speeding.

a) pull over               b) to pull over                  c) pull                d) pull over/ to pull over

PS: WHAT EXPLANATION WOULD YOU GIVE YOUR STUDENTS ABOUT THIS QUESTION??? 

Thanks in advance!

Gisele

_________________________________________________________________________________

Friends from all over the world I am very grateful for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So did we reach a consensus? Is it TO PULL OVER then?How  can I explain this to my students? Should I focus my explanation on GERUNDS & INFINITIVES?

In the beginning I thought the sentence was strange and now after reading your replies I understand why I was in doubt.I learned English here in my country at an American school. 

Hugs for all of you!

Thanks a lot!!!

5 Jul 2010      

Zora
Canada

It �s B) to pull over Smile

5 Jul 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

get sb to do sth :)
so the correct option is �to pull over �

Edit: Zora, didnt see your answer Smile

5 Jul 2010     

reira17
Algeria

"to pull over" is the correct answer ^_^

5 Jul 2010     

cyan78
Spain

to pull over i think is the right-

5 Jul 2010     

kodora
Greece

Get sb to do sth means persuade or force sb to do sth
Dora

5 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

They �re all correct about the answer and the explanation, but we (in the US, at least) wouldn �t say this. Since "for speeding" is added, we would say, "The policeman pulled Fred over for speeding."

I �m sorry to throw a wrench into this. We see so many examples of exercises that use correct grammar, but not realistic sentences.

Bruce

5 Jul 2010     

Jackie1952
Spain

Sorry Bruce, but I think those of us from over the Pond (I�m English) would say "got him to pull over".
Its just the difference between US and UK English, and I don�t think either would be marked as incorrect if they were said/written in the correct country.

Jackie (now living in Spain )

5 Jul 2010     

SueThom
United States

Interesting to hear that the Brits would say "got him to pull over".  I �ve never heard it phrased that way.  It implies to me that frequently drivers don �t pull over when lit up by a police car behind them, but this time the driver acquiesced. 

Yes, I would definitely agree with Bruce, but with one difference:  "The police officer pulled Fred over (for speeding)."   (I �d use it with or without the "for speeding".)

"Policeman" is considered by a few to be mildly offensive and by many to be a little old-fashioned--dating yourself to a generation when no police officers were female.  (Similar to "fireman" and "firefighter".)

BTW, if it makes any difference, I �m from the West Coast of the US.

Sue

5 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Is "policeman" offensive ? What word is correct ?

5 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Got him to pull over � is perfectly acceptable in BrE and there �s definitely no implication in this that drivers in the UK ignore the flashing lights (at least no more than anywhere else).

Oh, by the way, Sue, there �s nothing offensive or even remotely old-fashioned about calling a police officer a �policeman � - if he �s male. 

BTW (2), why should being from the West Coast of the US make any difference? I �m from the West Coast of Scotland...

5 Jul 2010     

1    2    3    Next >