Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > What is your preferred way to introduce the difference between adjectives and adverbs to 6th graders?    

What is your preferred way to introduce the difference between adjectives and adverbs to 6th graders?

blunderbuster
Germany

What is your preferred way to introduce the difference between adjectives and adverbs to 6th graders?

Hi there,

Earlier today a colleague who had seen some of my ws asked me if I could help her. She has her final practical teaching exam next week and the above topic is what she will be teaching.

I suggested that she teach the difference between smelling good and smelling well, retrospecitively, I don�t think it is a good idea because "well" is an irregular adverb.

Have you taught this? How did it go? I would appraciate any kind of input.

Thanks and kind regards

6 Jul 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

I find that sentences with BUT help a lot, and also questions. Here �s an example of what I mean.
He �s a very good driver, but today he was driving badly.
She is a great actress, but she performed really poorly tonight.
He is usually a very slow reader, but he read this book very quickly.
etc.
What is he like? He �s really honest.
How did he answer? He answered hesitantly, but honestly.
- having the sts make questions to given sentences usually makes them understand that for adverbs you ask about how the action(verb) was done

He drives too fast. He has a really fast car. For which of these sentences are we going to ask HOW?

Perhaps this helps...

6 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

If you �re introducing adverbs/adjectives - you might want to start with the easiest.

I teach my younger students that adverbs are adjectives that describe verbs or things we do.
(and often end in LY)
He walked down the street quickly - mysteriously - slowly. (they describe the way he walked)

Adjectives describes nouns - a tall boy - a short girl - a green tree.

Later on you can add the other forms - but better easy and understandable than too much!

L

6 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

Just wanted to say that that is a wonderful way to introduce adverbs Lisa. (referring to the "adverbs are adjectives that describe verbs or things we do." concept.) I hadn �t really thought of doing it that way and I just really want to say thank you for the new idea. Smile

6 Jul 2010