Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > most every people    

most every people

ELOJOLIE274
France

most every people

hello,
i �m reading the trilogy "Eragon" (i �ve just started reading the third volume) and i came across a very peculiar structure "most every people..." - at first i thought it was a typo, but since i found this structure several times in volume 2 and a couple of times in the first chapters of volume 3, it can �t be a typo... so i �d like to have the opinion of native speakers: is this structure grammatically correct? is it unusual or quite frequent? (i dare say i read a lot - classics like Jane Austen �s novels..., or more modern novels: Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, Mary Higgins Clark, Sophie Kinsella, Tolkien, to name but a few) and i never read this structure before, and in my grammar books i found "almost every body" but didn �t see this structure anywhere...
thanks a lot!!!
Elodie

10 Jul 2010      

lshorton99
China

Hi

I would say most everyone but I don �t think I �ve ever used most every people - maybe most every person. It �s another way of saying almost when used like that but tends to be stylistically more formal, strangely enough.

My only thought on this is that, if I remember correctly, the writer of Eragon is very young. He may use the English language differently to how I �d expect.

Judging by your list, may I recommend Guy Gavriel Kay and Anne McCaffrey - I think you �d really enjoy them!

Lindsey

10 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

Lindsey is right that many people use "most" to mean "almost", but it isn �t correct. She �s also right that the author of Eragon was 15 when he wrote the first volume. I would say either "most people" or "almost everyone."

I �ve only read the first book, so I don �t know what �s in the third one, but maybe it was referring to nations or races, and not individual people.

Bruce

10 Jul 2010     

yulya_esl
Ukraine

�Anne McCaffrey is amazing, great, awesome!!! ))) �

10 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Bruce, with all due respect (and you �ve contributed so much good sense to this forum so you deserve it), perhaps you shouldn �t be so quick to say that something is or isn �t �correct � particularly when you admit yourself that many people use "most" to mean "almost". We �re talking about a living - not static - language here. Language change often comes about because �many people � choose one option over another. Language is above all a social activity and what is �acceptable � for some might not be so for others. I suppose that language and grammar, like so much else in human history, has always been and, fortunately, still is negotiable (think of the development of �till � and �until � for example).

Personally, I �ve never heard the expression �most every people � either (unless, as you suggest, it refers to a people)  but perhaps it �s a West Coast, Californian thing (the Eragon author is from there).

Sorry for soapboxing a bit, but I �ve got a real down on prescriptivism at the moment.

All the best anyway,

Alex

PS On the subject of dragons and the like, what about Terry Pratchett?

10 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

OK, Alex, I �ll change my statement to "it doesn �t follow the rules in the grammar books." I tend to be very curmudgenly, and I definitely see things as more black and white than you apparently do. No need to apologize for the soapboxing, since that �s essentially what I was doing, so yours was just a reaction to mine.

And I �d rather not think about "till" and "until", since both have been nearly replaced in the US by the unnecessary  �til  (I say unnecessary, because we already have till and until, so we don �t need a third option. Notice that I said "unnecessary" rather than "wrong", but I �m sure you can guess my opinion about that).

Thanks for the gentle correction.
Bruce

10 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

You�re welcome.

Regards,

Alex

10 Jul 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

well thanks everyone for your comments!!! i even got more than I deserved since you recommended novels for my summer!!!
i cannot read English/American books in French, which is a bit of a problem sometimes since my boyfriend is a book-worm as well, so we have the same sets of books, mine are in English, his are in French... so thanks, i �m always looking for new books to read anyway ;)
take care, and have a great summer!!
Elodie

11 Jul 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I �d be interested in the context. Was the author using �people � to mean a nation or race of people ?

11 Jul 2010     

bvnreddy
China

hai
this is narasimha reddy
we want english teachers
if is any one intersted contactced me on [email protected]

19 Jul 2010