Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > While +ing?    

While +ing?

blunderbuster
Germany

While +ing?

Hi,

Can you tell me which one of these you would use and why? I can �t really see a difference in meaning.

Odie can sleep on Jon �s lap while he watches TV.
............................................... he is watching TV.

Thanks and kind regards.

11 Jul 2010      

susanis
Uruguay

according to my knowledge after the word while we use an ing tense because with it we can easily see the idea of process.
bye sue from Uruguay.

11 Jul 2010     

Ledy Di
Israel

deffinetely ing. Cause it �s still in process and there is exact rule for it. Don �t doubt!

11 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Not necessarily Continuous tense, �cause while has several meanings, so the use of the tense would really depend on the meaning that is emphasised: during the time that or when, at the same time as, or used to show a contrast (eg I like black coffee while David prefers it with cream), and finally formal although, in spite of the fact that (eg While I admit that there are problems, I don �t agree that they cannot be solved)
And in your sentence  I �d say that you can use the simple tense just to underline that it �s habitual of them to act in that way.
Nice talking to you, Regina.
Hello from Ukraine,
Sophia
P.S. Though I�d recommend to wait for the comment of some native speaker before you make a decisionSmile 

11 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

Sophia is correct and explained it very well. Both sentences sound very natural.

Bruce

12 Jul 2010