Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > arrogant students    

arrogant students

Alees
Uruguay

arrogant students

HI everybody!! I �m having big trouble with a 6-students-group who (except for 1) are deeply arrogant, snobbish. elitist and so on. I have been working as a teacher for 17 years so far and I have never had any kind of problems with adolescents-. Actually, I am know for having good rapport with them. But this group is quite different from the rest, they are all the time trying to be in charge of the class and I �m losing interest, motivation and the worst, I �m getting really stressed. These students are suppossed to be taking ECCE Michigan this year but they won �t reach the level as they don �t work and they waste their time. Disapprove
I �m desperate because I have tried many strategies but it seems that nothing work for them. The thing is that they are spoiled children and they are used to doing whatever they want...

Could you help me , please? I �d be so thankful!!!!------
Ale

15 Jul 2010      

zoemorosini
United States

Could you give them samples of the test?  It might wake them up.  However, if they don �t really care about taking the test, that won �t have any effect.  Have you tried calling parents?

If they want to be in charge, give them an assignment--THEY teach the class, lesson by lesson, one by one.  Then you can sit in the back.  When I have a difficult student I do this, and it �s a rude awakening for them, let me tell you!

Snobs are insufferable in any way, shape, or form.  Is there a homeless shelter/soup kitchen nearby where you could set up a visit (you should go beforehand to organize with the director what the students would do there when they arrive), so they see how "the other half" lives?  Of course, you �d need parental permission.  Maybe you could get parents to chaperone on the trip...they might need a dose of reality too.

If I were in your shoes, I �d give them stacks of work to do, and tell them you �ll begin teaching them again when they appreciate your efforts on their behalf.   Alternatively, just teach the one who cares by him/herself, and give the others work.

Good luck!

15 Jul 2010     

Alees
Uruguay

Oh Zoe.... Thanks a lot!!! You know I �ve tried some of those, what happens is that parents are the owners of the school in this city and their children know that so they feel they are the teahcer �s owners too. I will try the assignment-to teach the class to one of them today. It �s so hard dealing with them, I �m really sufering a lot, and the worst part is that I don �t like giving up and the salray is good, otherwise I would have quitted porbably, je, je. Thanks

15 Jul 2010     

Alees
Uruguay

I forgot to tell you, that they are very often in the Director �s office but believe me , they laugh at everyone!!!!!

15 Jul 2010     

ezeca
Argentina

Reward the ones that really work and ignore the others. Believe me, it  works.

15 Jul 2010     

Mariethe House
France

http://www.amazon.com/1-2-3-Magic-Teachers-Effective-Discipline/dp/1889140171#reader_1889140171

15 Jul 2010     

Errie
Japan

@ezeca,

You are soooo right. I �m currently in the same position as Alees. I do the same when they don �t listen or trying to be a pain in the ass. I just completely ignore them. I don �t even look at them or say hello anymore. I also don �t respond or what so ever if they ask me something. There are three of them...all are girls.  I put their desks in the back of the classroom. I simply give them the feeling that they �re not welcome in my class. Of course I did this after trying many many many other ways to get their attention. Let �s see how long they can take this. I see it as a game and the thing is that I always win whatever the game may be...LOL

And Alees....good luck. Don �t loose interest in one of the most wonderful job there is. With all respect but...they are just kids and some of them need to learn it the hard way you know...

15 Jul 2010     

kodora
Greece

Have a look at this:
http://www.disciplinehelp.com/teacher/detail.cfm?behaviorID=8&title=The%20Arrogant&step=Actiont
It might help you.
Be patient and don �t give up.
Dora

15 Jul 2010     

ap.amaral
Brazil

I guess you�ll have to make them feel stupid....
So They�ll stop with this.

15 Jul 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

ı work at a dormıtory prımary school and ın every classroom we have many students just like the ones you mentıoned.... every year ı work deeply on them ...... when ı m sure that ı ve trıed everythıng for them ı start ıgnorıng them ...

the fact ıs always dramatıc ... the only thıng ı can advıse you ıs that you be sure that you trıed everythıng on them... ıf you do everythıng and the result ıs the same , ıt means that those students are not teachable? students...so , ıgnore them :) good luck!

15 Jul 2010     

claudiafer
Argentina

I agree about leaving those students aside and working with those that are worthy. On the other hand, you should start challenging those students with activities that are very difficult to be carried out, and tell then that those are the easiest of the exam. Soon they will realise they are spoiling their times. Good luck.

15 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >