Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > singular -plural    

singular -plural

hema.chandra
India

singular -plural

is plural of grass ..........grasses or grass only.

sat and sun _________ weekend.(is ,are)

15 Jul 2010      

ap.amaral
Brazil

I think it is grasses as well. 

15 Jul 2010     

imelda
Mexico

I think it would be grass..... the grass is always greener on ... and it would be blades of grass...but at least i have never heard of grasses....

15 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I agree with imelda. There �s usually no plural form of flour, either, only in very specific cases.

Maybe this helps:

15 Jul 2010     

Pelletrine
France

I think it would be grass in any case, except when you talk about different kinds of grasses (herbs).

We don �t speak about "a" grass either, but say " a straw of grass" as far as I know. Which means there �s no singular for the plant, generally speaking.

Saturday and Sunday (are the days of) is the weekend : is sounds curiuos, maybe the other way round the problem is solved: The weekend includes/is Saturday and Sunday.

Hope it helps ;o))

15 Jul 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

grass is (in most cases) a collective noun. the only case in which you would use it in the plural would be if you are talking about different kinds of grass, as described in the link Topolina gave.

The proverb goes, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

15 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s true that we say �the grass is always greener on the other side" and �the lush green grass of a summer meadow � but a botanist (or even a farmer) might talk about different �grasses � (sedge, couch etc).

Oh, and, of course, we have the UK slang for a police informer: a �grass � (from �snake in the .....). So, occasionally we might refer to several people as �grasses �. I can even remember from my own schooldays, kids who �told on � other kids being referred to as �grasses �.

15 Jul 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

I agree with tastybrain: another ex. Not let the grass grow under your feet, put somebody out to grass.

Grasses:When we refer to plants with narrow leaves growing from the bases,  usually  with narrow leaves growing from the base.

15 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Grass of the plant variety is usually used in the singular but yes, we do use it in the plural when referring to different types.  If you google grass grasses you will see some good examples of usage.

Almaz, the slang version was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread.  Must be the influence of my love for Bristish crime/detective movie viewing.

Cheers

Jayho

16 Jul 2010