Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Are You with Bloom ´s Taxonomy for Devising comprehension Questions? Share Your Experience!!!    

Are You with Bloom ´s Taxonomy for Devising comprehension Questions? Share Your Experience!!!

Nebal
Lebanon

Are You with Bloom ´s Taxonomy for Devising comprehension Questions? Share Your Experience!!!

Hello wonderful teachers,

Once, a teacher told me that she refuses Blooms � Taxonomy when devising comprehension questions. She doesn �t believe in his Hierarchy, and thinks that students should read just to accomplish writing tasks. In her opinion, the questions we all devise are artificial and superficial, and can take the students nowhere.

Do you agree with what the teacher believes in?
Share your experience.
Nebal

19 Jul 2010      

Nebal
Lebanon

In my opinion, this teacher is not totally right!!
I believe that the comprehension questions do guide and enhance students � comprehension of the text. Many a time I ask my students to read the comprehension questions before tackling the text. This strategy helps them predict the text �s content.
I think that the questions do draw kind of a preview of what the text is about.

Well, I �m not with superficial direct questions all the time. However, there should be one or two direct questions in the set. Students need to pass from low order of thinking to the high order of thinking.

Waiting for your responses.
Nebal

19 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

To paraphrase a well-known phrase - there are no useless questions, just useless answers. What I mean to say is actually this - if we know our sts, their age, interests and knowledge level, and we use some creativity, our comprehension questions will be more than useful -  linguistically, educationally(silly word, probably doesn �t exist, but bear with me) and culturally. (For some levels, it is even more useful to get them to make questions themselves.) Here �s an example - all these questions can be formed to check the understanding of the sentence, but it depends for whom, to check what, to jiggle which language centres...

Example:
Paul won some money on the lottery and bought himself a Lamborghini.
Example questions(from more elementary to more advanced):
Who won money on the lottery?
Where did Paul win the money?
What did Paul buy?
What did Paul do with the winning?
Where else can you win money?
What can you buy with a lottery winning?
What can you do with a lottery winning?
What would you do?

19 Jul 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, dear Anita, I do agree that it �s more fruitful to have students write questions rather than answer questions all the time. This teaches critical thinking. They try to ask and ask more about things they experience . But, it �s important that they know how to answer questions, as this paves the way to asking correct questions.

Do you know that many students of mine don �t know how to answer simple questions correctly.

19 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

That �s exactly why I said it �s up to us to know the age, knowledge level and interests of our sts - every type of question I mentioned is useful if applied as it should be - if (in this case) you ask Who won the money on lottery? to a group of sts preparing for the CAE they will think you don �t know your job well or even be insulted. So, we agree...

19 Jul 2010     

Amanda W
Austria

Hi Ladies,

Yes, this is a good theme. I �ve just done a course which promoted the idea that comprehension questions were OUT. It was a bit like a slap in the face for me. Students froming and asking the  questions might just have been accepted.  I liked you last entry Anita which puts the way in which questions are asked and to whom down to the point. However, in the days of the autonomous learner, comprehension questions seem to be definitely a no-no.

19 Jul 2010