Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Unresponsive students    

Unresponsive students

SaraMariam
United States

Unresponsive students

Hello my dear colleagues
I have to write a paper about unresponsive students (why they may be unresponsive and the solution to the problem). One of the reasons is that that the student expects that you as a teacher have to do all the talking during the lesson and therefore doesn �t really want to participate. But I just can �t think of any solution to this, since I honestly never had a student like that before. Does anyone of you have any idea on how to deal with such  a student?

hugs
Sara

29 Jul 2010      

douglas
United States

It �s all in how you motivate them and if you are able to motivate them.  You need to somehow find and touch-on something that they find valuable or interesting and tie it to the subject--it �s a lot easier said than done.

29 Jul 2010     

Babs1966
France

Hello SaraMariam,

Each students are different and unresponsivness for one or another doesn �t necessarly have the same origine.
In order to find a solution to that problem, first is needed to find why they are unresponsive?

Teaching as a private teacher I spot the different failures.

Some have lack of understand their mother toung grammar. which could explain their problem of going to one language to an other and therefore them become unresponsive.

Some are just not welling to learn (to get them motivate could work if you find subjects which might interst them more)

Some are shy and don �t like participating because they are affraid of being made fun of by other students.

Some don �t just get along with their teachers (they feel as if the teacher doesn �t like them and they just stop working to show their point)

Not getting good marks makes them feel under and they give up.

Some don �t realize the importance of learning a foreing language (it �s useful to get good position jobs, to get promotions ...) This is one of the reason I �ve got adult students too.

Well I hope I gave you something good to work from.

Best wishes to you,
Babs

I don�t know if where you work you use computer ? But if so, you could give them scavenger hunt on the net. to get them to find material to work with in class (of course you would need to guide them towards what you would like to teach them) added after

29 Jul 2010     

kodora
Greece

Maybe they lack self-confidence and they feel that whatever they say will be wrong.The first approach should be to make them feel relaxed and believe that nothing will happen if their answer is the wrong one.Humorous responses help a lot.Sometimes children are so oppressed by their parents � desire them to succeed that they prefer silence to a "wrong answer" -in case their parents learn about it.
I think you can start by giving them  answers and set phrases they can use and encourage them to use them every time you think they can get the right response.After that praise them
as much as you think they need it.They will take some time,though, to start getting over the potential feeling of failure.Once you have succeeded in earning their trust things are much easier.
Dora

29 Jul 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Thank you very much for all your answers and your thoughts on my problem :). Well the problem of the student in this case it really that he has a problem with the teacher role, I guess, since he thinks that the teacher has to do all the talking, that �s a teacher �s job, so he can lean back and let the teacher do his job (so his participation is pretty low). As a solution to this kind of unresponsive student I thought about maybe switching the roles, so that he has to prepare a class. But then again this may help one lesson and not for the future. So I �m kind of stuck :s

29 Jul 2010     

Babs1966
France

How old is this student ? Maybe if we know a bit more we could help you find solutions ;)

29 Jul 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Unfortunately that �s all I know. it �s no particular student, jsut a case study. That �s all the info I have and the rest is up to me.

29 Jul 2010     

ditku
Poland

Hello Sara!

The students can come to such unreasonable conclusions most likely because of the bad teaching habits their previous teachers presented to them, and the bad learing habits they internalized. C �est la vie, unfortunately.
 This is the problem that many young Polish teachers encounter when they start teaching in public schools. Convincing the students that an English class is not a lecture is really hard. I believe that praising or rewarding the students are very useful means of encouragement one can apply during an English lesson. They are quite useful during the process, but you should, of course, bear in mind the first meeting of a new teacher and a new teaching group. It �s important to present your expectations and ask about theirs. You can encourage the students to speak out about their previous language learning experiences, about their doubts and objectives in learning a language. The things that you �ll hear may astonish you at times!
I also think that showing the students that you really care about what they have to say is crucial. Some may say that you can only do that with higher level students, which I honestly doubt.
Well, I hope it helped you a little.

Be well,
Ditku.

29 Jul 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

As far as I can guess you have to engage your Students` attention.

And it doesn`t matter why they`ve become so unmotivated,

THE TRICK � surely depends on their level, age, etc...

If your paper concerns small� kids , it involves a number of certain techniques.

In case of adults, it`s quite a different set.

So, please, choose the age and level range first. Otherwise, I don`t think you`ll get any helpful advice.

29 Jul 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

thanks a lot for all your answers and thoughts :) Ditku, you are completely right with what you are saying. I think I �ll go for role exchange and giving feedback to the student. Thanks again for all you thoughts and support :)

Hugs
Sara

29 Jul 2010