Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > My ws.    

My ws.

lshorton99
China

Even if nobody can see the watermarks, the fact that they �re there means that by using it, you are violating the copyright of the creator.

Philip Martin says you can use it for non-profit purposes - it �s a little bit of a grey area on a site like this - technically it �s non-profit but it �s not the same as educational purposes which allows the use of a lot of materials which we can use on this site (the fair use educational get out clause only applies for a few photocopies within the classroom - not mass distribution). The best think to do would be to contact Philip Martin directly and find out what he thinks is acceptable and also to acknowledge his contribution in the description of a worksheet.

Most of your other examples shouldn �t really be used - they are violating copyright. However, the Simpsons clipart is available on a lot of free sites. If the owners of those sites have given permission to reproduce their work, then we shouldn �t worry too much.

Disney can be quite strict about copyright violations - I �ve seen a lot about that. I �m moving to China in September to work for them so I �ll let you know more about it when I do!!!!!

Basically, a lot of worksheets probably should be reported for copyright violations. Even if you take one picture from google, you don �t know who the author is and what the consequences are. Copyright laws exist to stop people making money from soneone else �s work (which we don �t) but also to stop people from taking money away from someone else �s work. By redistributing an image, you are making it available for free when normally the creator might charge for it to be used and make money from it.

Being realistic, it �s impossible to avoid small infringements. I personally use the imiages that come with office for my worksheets as much as possible - they may not be as good as other images but I know the terms of use. I know other users purchase the rights to image collections. One picture isn �t the end of the world - reproducing entire comic strips, for example, is a blatent violation.

If you have any more questions about this, feel free to pm me and I �ll try to answer them! It �s sort of become my thing through work!

Lindsey

1 Aug 2010     

bethconrad
Hong Kong

Hi Lindsay,

I am very interested to hear about working for Disney in China.  I am from Canada and have lived in Hong Kong for 9 years and I love it!  Love to hear from you.

1 Aug 2010     

Asyuta
Russian Federation

I reuploaded my ws,hope that it won �t be removed second timeSmile

1 Aug 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hey, guys! I know of a way to be on the perfectly safe side:

PUBLIC DOMAIN CLIPART

I have found some great clipart, that are free for use or redistribution for educational purposes (as this site, or a blog) surfing websites under that category.

Of course some may not be as cute as the ones which we have to pay for, but the thing is: if we are so serious about uploading (even for non-commercial purposes) ESLP members � works on other websites, I believe we should also respect the right that the clipart artists have of not allowing their work to be redistributed for free.

Phillip Martin �s art is free to be used (with his signature) for non-commercial purposes, I have asked him myself.

GO PUBLIC DOMAIN CLIPART! They �re the safest, most honest and respectful to other people �s work way to go!

Wink

1 Aug 2010     

Teaching English
Morocco

Thanks Bruna for your care. we are grateful for sharing.Wink

1 Aug 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I was just reading Silvia �s (s.lefevre) post and I think the answer is:

when a clipart has a WATERMARK (Baiba �s examples) it is a CLEAR notice that it cannot be used without paying their fees (as it can be read in their TOU).

When there is a signature, it �s different. It �s the authors way of signing the art back to him/herself. If they are free for use, we would have to check it on the website we found it (which I believe it �s the minimum of respect we can �pay � to the artist).

As to Disney or other cartoon characters, I wouldn �t know. Someone once said they �re in the open, but I have my doubts. So, now I try not to use those anymore if for uploading on this website.

1 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2