Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Talking about the past    

Talking about the past

carinita
Argentina

Talking about the past

I �ve never presented simple past to a group of students except when I worked privately but I generally taught the past one on one
What could I do with a group of 20 students? I have For Teens 2, which I plan to use...and Snapshot series If you are willing to suggest other bibliography, it will be better if it is available on the internet because I �m a substitute teacher and it �s not worth buying books (in my humble opinion)
All answers will be appreciated

1 Aug 2010      

josek
Argentina

When I was at Monserrat school in Cordoba, the teacher introduced the simple past by telling a personal story of 5 or 6 lines. It was about her holidays.

1 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi,
there are a lot of worksheets on that subject in this site.
Also you could try to get the whole class involved by asking them to describe what they did at the weekend. You can start the whole thing by describing your weekend activities and then asking them to follow suit.
Good Luck!

1 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

You might be interested in reading this thread in which I mentioned a few other useful ones for teaching the Simple Past:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=18581

Good luck!! :)

2 Aug 2010     

Vivilui
Argentina

You could give them a diary on past holidays and as an activity after reading it, infinitive verbs connected with the activities mentioned in the diary which they have to put in order according to the reading. Then, they could see the relationship between the infinitives (which must surely know) and their pasts. Good luck!!!

2 Aug 2010     

MarianaC
Argentina

To make them remember the past form of verbs, you can organise simple games like bingo, the hangman, etc. You call the infinitive form and they need to tick the past form of the verbs. There �s lots of quick games like that you can do as warm up, and then develop your lesson.
Horror stories are good for past tense. Eg, a person (he, for example purposes)who died in the 1900, but who some people saw years after their death, doing something remarkable... then start listing all the things they did to create your story. For example, he heard a noise coming from under a bridge, so he went there and found a basket with a baby in it. He shouted for help, but no one came. He rang the bell to the nearest house but there was no answer. He ran to the hospital and called for help, so the nurses came and drove the ambulance to the area. So the ghost saved the baby.
Twist it any way you want, but students usually find this kind of story grabbing and interesting. Maybe make them guess why and when they realised it was a ghost... maybe describe his clothes, old fashioned clothes...
Here you can make them identify verbs in the past, and work on pronunciation of -ed endings.
Good luck!

2 Aug 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for your help I �m sure something original will come out!!!

3 Aug 2010