Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > adding ing    

adding ing

hema.chandra
India

adding ing

when should you double the consonants ,I mean what are the rules of adding -ing

for eg run -running,stop-stopping etc.....any rules pl explain

5 Aug 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi!
I usually teach my kids the following as a kind of chant :
�consonant - vowel - consonant, double the consonant �...
Run, stop,cut ... big = bigger..etc.
But dream = dreaming... 
Maybe too simple - LOL - but they usually get it right !
Sylvie 

5 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I teach my students the same rule as Sylvie - consonant/vowel/consonant = double the consonant, but it also depends on whether it �s British English or American English - eg. travelled/traveled, cancelled/canceled...

5 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I show them what happens if the consonant doesn �t get doubled by using these words:

biker
big(g)er

doped
stop(p)ed

If a word ends on vowel-consonant, the added vowel (-ing, -ed, etc) might have an effect on the pronunciation, the double consonant blocks that effect. In the case of adding "-ing" there isn�t normally such an effect, but the situations in which the doubling applies are the same as when "-ed" is added.

For beginners I usually just let them memorize the forms....making, travel(l)ing (AE/BE) too complicated

Regards

5 Aug 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

I teach the same as Sylvie described, unbelievably, kids remember this rule quite easily:-)

5 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I teach the consonant, short vowel, consonant rule as well.

5 Aug 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I also teach the rule that we have to double the last consonant when a verb (for gerund/continuous) or a word (for comparative) ends with a consonant, a (which means one) vowel, consonant or CVC.  I also use the kind of examples blunderbuster gave to illustrate why. This rule - double the last consonant when words end with CVC - only holds when the emphasis is on that last part of the word �begin-beginning � but �listen-listening �.
I usually teach this gradually. I begin with explaining that they need to add -ing (for contiunuous) or -er (for comparative) to the basic word and only later  - often even a grade later - I add the exeptions or special words, sharpening as it were their precision in applying the rules.....

5 Aug 2010     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

I teach students like MarionG said : C+V+C = double last consonant, except in verbs like remember and listen etc.
But when I teach them this rule I never talk about the endings of the adjectives, to avoid confusion between verbs and adjectives.

Hugs

5 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

dear hema.chandra,
as an English teacher you certainly know where to look up simple grammar rules?
We get more and more very simple grammar questions on the forum that surprise me. 

6 Aug 2010