Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Is this text written correctly?    

Is this text written correctly?

ynroko1
Slovenia

Is this text written correctly?

Hi.

I �ve just read the certificate of a principal who wrote:

"I hereby certify that XY was chosen among other candidates to the position of English teacher at primary school for the period from ...to..."

It sounds a bit strange to me. What is your opinion?
Thank you. 

Have a nice day, Y.

9 Aug 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

I would maybe change it to...

"I hereby certify that XY has been chosen among other candidates for the position of our primary school English teacher during the following period: from ...to..."

But perhaps some native speakers who have met with this kind of document in its original form would be of more help to you... Btw, what exactly is the certificate for? Because this way it sounds one has been accepted for a job.

9 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

It certainly does sound odd.

I hereby certify that XY was chosen among other candidates to the position of English teacher at primary school for the period from ...to..."

among other candidates - this indicates several candidates were chosen in which case there would have been more than one position.
Or did they mean - from other candidates?

If there was one person chosen I would say:

I hereby certify that XY has been chosen to fill the position of English teacher at BlahBlah primary school for the period from ... to .....

If this is a current document �has been chosen � could be a better choice of verb tense.
Writing the time period this way is OK.

9 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I would write:

"I hereby certify that XY was chosen, from among other candidates, for the position of English teacher at primary school for the period from ...to..."

9 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

To me it �s perfectly clear this notification attests that XY was hired to be a teacher at primary school and he was chosen among other teachers whom were applying for the post but were not given the job.
the sentence sounds really correct to me.

9 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

It �s ok the way it is but it could be worded better.  Not odd - just a bit, as we would say, gobbledygook.

9 Aug 2010     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

I believe the text is ok and it doesn �t sound strange at all, to me.

Best wishes
Manuela

9 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thanks for the link, Jayho!Wink

9 Aug 2010