Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > high or tall?    

high or tall?

Yams
Argentina

high or tall?

which is the best way to explain young learners the difference between high and tall? I downloaded a worksheet I found here, but I don �t know how to explain this difference to elementary level students. I would appreciate your good pieces of advice... thanks!!!

9 Aug 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Yams,
Tall=something projecting from the ground upwards (vertical size) = Tall building, Tall Man, Tall Girl
High= related to position(distance from the ground upwards) = high ceiling, high, aeroplane, high flyer, high jump

I hope this helps

9 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

Another way of explaining the general rule franknbea noted is:  does part of the object you �re talking about touch the ground or not?

If part of it touches the ground, it �s tall.  (e.g. tall person, tall tree, tall building, tall ladder)

If no part of it touches the ground, it �s high.  (e.g. high ceiling, high window, the airplane is high in the sky, the highest rung on the ladder)

All of that is when we �re describing something as high/tall, low/short.  It gets a little trickier when you add talking about measurements.  (How tall is the person?  How high is the thing?)  You probably don �t need to go into that with young learners, though.

And like frankbea, I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

Sue

9 Aug 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Nice explain

Thanks 

10 Aug 2010     

Yams
Argentina

Thank you!!!good explanation and very useful for my kids!!!! thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Aug 2010