Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > CELTA    

CELTA

Asyuta
Russian Federation

CELTA

Hi there,

I wanna ask you if anyone of you passed CELTA cources,and how it was? What opportunities do you get passing them? Advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks in advance.
Asyuta.

13 Aug 2010      

Asyuta
Russian Federation

I see there is no one, who want to share with his or her opinions....Confused

13 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Oh Asyuta, don �t feel bad. I �m sure there will be someone who did that and wants to share. Perhaps they �re just not here right now. Perhaps you could post the same question later in the evening. I �d love to help, but have no experience with those exams, so... Be patient. There �s always someone here who can help.

13 Aug 2010     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Hi Asyuta,

I did a TESOL Cert rather than a CELTA, but I know most employers ask for one or the other when you apply for a new job.  The courses can either be done part-time or as intensive courses (4-5 weeks).   An intensive course is exactly that: a very intensive, fairly high-stress course in which for four weeks you will live, eat and sleep TEFL.  If you would prefer to work at the same time, or aren �t able to take a four-week chunk out of your life, a part-time course is the best option. There are five assessed components: Teaching Practice, Language Awareness, Materials, Unknown Language and Learner Profile.  During the course you are assessed on a minimum of six hours teaching, observe your peers and tutors, write three assignments and take a Language Awareness exam.

You can also find short courses available on the Internet, though the majority of reputable employers won �t accept any qualification except Trinity or Cambridge.

If you find that you can get a job with the experience you have and employers don �t ask for any formal qualification, I would still invest time in professional development by attending conferences or looking at resources online as you �ll not only find wonderful new ideas, but it can also reaffirm that what you �re currently doing in your classes works well too.  Our school offers a CELTA course and I was lucky enough to observe most of the input sessions.  I found it really useful, even though I �ve been teaching for a few years, as it refreshed my memory and also gave me some new ideas.

Hope that helps :)
T

Views from the Whiteboard

13 Aug 2010