Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Notebooks     

Notebooks

baiba
Latvia

Notebooks

Hi everyone,

Could you share your experience in using student notebooks at the lesson?
I mean a notebook where they write down everything that is important - a new rule, new words, examples, teacher tips, drafts etc.
Do you use them at all and if you do, what do you expect your students to write there? Does this notebook have a specific layout or parts? Do you evaluate it?

17 Aug 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Some things about it depend on their age. I never evaluate tidiness (except in horrrrrrrible cases), but I do check them from time to time to see they have all the important things, and I try to check regularly if they have copied or made notes correctly. I like it when they paste wss we do in the notebooks so they don �t get lots, or some of them prefer to have special a special folder for those which they hand in with the notebook. I don �t have a special layout I like them to follow, but I try to make the board notes or ppt notes well organised so if they copy them properly, it helps them to learn. With the small kids I try to keep it as simple as possible, and sometimes I have them make pictionaries (with stickers and words), whereas with teenagers and advanced sts I prepare the most important stuff on the board or ppt, and this is what they must copy, but I tell them they �re allowed to ask any extra examples or rules or vocab they need and I write it down for them, and they can copy it, but don �t have to. I find that this �you don �t have to, but you may �-rule actually motivates them to make more notes than if I just prepared tons of rules and examples. Sometimes, when I have sth important to share with their parents, or I simply want the parents to take a look, I make them bring me their notebooks back with their parents signature and a date.

17 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Hello Baiba,

All my students have a copybook/notebook, as very often in  French Junior Highschools.I do use it a lot � as it is their main tool really ( Not ALL my classes have English books ( from publishers ), so I use a lot of ws � mainly from here ;o))

I tried different tools, eg files, but it was a real mess with the young ones...

Every day, we write the main things to be remembered, write a few examples, & kids do their homework in their copybooks. When I have meetings, parents usually tell me it�s a great tool in that they can see what their child has been learning so far.

Each chapter � we call it �s�quence� starts with a small  paper where I tell the kids what they are going to learn, & what the evaluation will be about. ( ex : I can speak/write about my daily routine ; I can  use the Present Simple ; I�ll learn new vocabulary : Wake up, have breakfast.... At the end of Chapter..., I can tell you about what i usually do on school days = Test ) There�s always a part where the kids have to write/ draw something. ( Essays for the 14-year-old ones, drawings or simple sentences for the younger kids.) In fact, this part is the most important one � ie for the personal productions. I always evaluate their copybooks - & it�s a lot of work!! :o)) ( criteria = It�s neat ( dates, lessons copied, papers glued...), The student has included his/her personal work, homework done....etc)

When I teach European Classes ( few students, good level..) which are optional, my students have files, where they have to organize their work � Humanities, English-speaking countries, readings, essays...)

I once met a French teacher of English who showed me his students�files : I was amazed!!! Even the young ones produced such wonderful books!! I must admit I �ve never been able to get results like his...

When my colleagues & I organize a trip to the UK ( almost every year...) we now ask our kids to buy a notebook � which we evaluate & give prizes to the most wonderful ones. ( Instead of marking it, which would be a nonsense...)Our students know what they have to do, of course : Tell us about their trip ( ferry ), about their British host family, about the monuments/towns they visited..etc) They have to write their diary � in English.._ & paste drawings or photos, tickets,... I once even got stones glued on a page : Miss, they�re from the beach we went last Sunday!! :o)))

17 Aug 2010     

epit
Turkey

Hi Baiba ,You can use a rubric for evaluting the notebooks .You can give the pupils your rubric So they know which  criterions that you want to see on their notebooks .You can arrange a rubric yourself by making use of this link ,

http://www.rcampus.com/rubricshellc.cfm?mode=gallery&sms=publicrub hope it works for you

17 Aug 2010     

kodora
Greece

Hello Baiba,
I always ask my students to get notebooks.The little ones have three notebooks.The one we use in the classroom-I call it Words-and in which we write all the necessary things for our lesson- the new words, grammar, examples etc.I always write the date on the board at the beginning and their duties when we have completed the lesson.At first they find it difficult to follow the routine -some of them at least- but in due course they find it very helpful because they can always find what they have to prepare for the next lesson.The second one is the Copy in which they sometimes copy texts from their book or they write the exercises I have asked them to do.Finally there is the Dictation in which they write for me to check the words they have learnt.For the older ones, I ask them to get a three-subject notebook and use the same labels.They use a special folder in which they put the worksheets, the crafts and whatever else we do together.I always go round the classroom, check how they write down things and  try to urge them to follow the order in which everything is written on the board. Following a certain routine makes them feel at ease because they know what they are expected to do and they don �t get lost when they get back home and their parents ask them what their homework is and what they did at school.Apart from that, I love ORDER.
Dora

17 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Many thanks for your replies. This is what I learned from you:
1. Anita, thanks for the idea to ask students � parents to sign a notebook occasionally thus making sure they know what their children are learning.
2. Sylvie, I loved your idea about writing trip/ excursion notes!
3. Epit, thanks for your tip about the rubrics. A useful link!
4. Dora, your idea about 3 notebooks (or a notebook with 3 parts) was new to me, and I think I am going to try out something similar.

Thank you all again!

17 Aug 2010