Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > use to / for    

use to / for

Chilvis
Argentina

use to / for

Hi, I was wondering if there is any difference in the meaning of these two structures:

use sth to do sth

use sth for doing sth

For instance you can use a vacuum cleaner to clean the floor or for cleaning the floor.

I �ll be glad if you can help me Wink

17 Aug 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

I don �t think there �s any difference in meaning, both are grammatically correct, though I �d use the first one :  TO + verb  /  FOR + noun ... that sounds better to me .  Hugs !

17 Aug 2010     

Laly59
Spain

I think it�s  better use your vacuum cleaner to clean the floor. I hope this can help you and I�m not wrong, a hug.

17 Aug 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree that it sounds normal to say to use the vacuum cleaner TO clean the floor when describing and defining the normal (expected) function of a vacuum cleaner.

I would say a vaccuum cleaner is not FOR clearing snow  from the walkway. (emphasizing a prohibition or misuse?)

The first seems descriptive (defining) to me, and the second seems prescriptive(giving directions, commands?).

does that make sense to anyone else?

17 Aug 2010     

korodi4
Hungary

Hi Chilvis,

As far as I know these structures differ in meaning. I �ll try to give some example sentences to highlight the difference.

Today I used my old car to go shopping. (The new one was used by other family member.)
Here I refer to the car as a tool I use in order to do sg with it or to get some results.

My old car is only used for going shopping. (The new one is used for some other thing.)
In this sentence I refer to the function of an object in general.

Hope I could help you.
Cheers    Big smile

17 Aug 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Mary, you �re right about the emphasis on prohibition, it makes a perfect example of the use of "for". Thank you from me, too !!

17 Aug 2010