Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > help!!    

help!!

Yurany21
Colombia

help!!

Is shiny an adjective only for objects? or Can u say Shiny Kids? Is that correct? thanks for ur help: =D

20 Aug 2010      

donapeter
Romania

See here an example:shining happy people laughing   Smile  Wink

20 Aug 2010     

Petpet
Czech Republic

Dear Yurany,

seeing the word "shiny", a title of a great song came to my mind: Shiny Happy People (R.E.M.).
So, I �d say, one can use it about people.

The Urban Dictionary says so too - see David Bowie is shiny. - amazing, wonderful

P.

20 Aug 2010     

amyi
France

Hello there! As a native speaker, my feeling is that you cannot use �shiny � to apply to a person.  You could use it to describe eyes or skin, I suppose
The REM song gives us an example of a poetic use of the adjective, but it is not used in this way in common parlance.
Have a great evening!

20 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

@ Amyi: I think the definition and the example given by Urbandictionary (see the link Petpet has given) says that it can be used applying to people. 
I am waiting for more opinions and links, anyway. 

20 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Never heard of a shiny person. But you can say someone �s nose is shiny!

20 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Yurany,
A person can shine without being shiny
just as a person can drink without being drunk

A kid can shine without being a shiny kid
Even if he is a shining example he is still not shiny.

20 Aug 2010     

Yurany21
Colombia

Thanks all of u for ur time =D

20 Aug 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I �ve never heard of a shiny person either.  As Frank says, you can shine at languages  for example (that is, be particularly good at them) but you can �t be shiny.

21 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I agree with Amyi, LibertyBelle, Frank & Ballycastle - they have given shining examples of current usage.

I must admit, I haven�t heard of most of the examples in the Urban Dictionary but that doesn�t mean that they aren�t used

Cheers

Jayho

21 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

I �ve never heard "shiny" used for people, either, but yup--there it is in urban dictionary and since it �s in writing AND on the Internet, it must be true, right?  Wink

IMHO, franknbea--once again--gave a fine explanation.

Sue

21 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >