Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help    

Help

Amandina
Switzerland

Help

Dear teachers,

I am having trouble (thank you for your suggestions, colibrita Wink... I was about to use the d-word when I read your post) with the following structure:

I recommend you to go home now. (according to Micheal Swan Practical English Usage)
or
I recommend you go home now.

The second option sound more natural to me, but then I �m not a native speaker. So what do you think?

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards
Amandina

21 Aug 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Amandina,
You are right. The second option does sound more natural and therefore it is used more commonly than the first, although the first is not incorrect, it just doesn �t roll off the tongue as well.
If I may borrow a phrase from Lindsey; It �s correct English versus common usage.

21 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would have said exactly the same!

I would only add that both are grammaticaly correct (as is �I recommend that you go home now �) but the first one sounds awful to a native speaker.

Lindsey

21 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

You can also say:
I recommend that you go home now.
But............
It really all depends on the situation.
I recommend you to go home now sounds likes a command and
I recommend you go home now sounds more like a suggestion.
But it may be different from culture to culture or even region to region.

21 Aug 2010     

kodora
Greece

Recommend can be followed by 1.a gerund eg.I recommend visiting the museum
2.an infinitive when you mention the person concerned eg. I recommend you to visit the museum 3. the subjunctive eg. I recommend (that) you visit the museum (more formal)
But you have to be careful when using the subjunctive because the verb following does not take an ending when you want to use he/she/it eg.I recommend he visit the museum.
I hope I have helped you
Dora

21 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Just a little hint - In this case, you would write:
I have a problem. (you �re not in trouble, because you haven �t done anything wrong!)

21 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

Dora

We were just discussing that, while your second example - I recommend you to visit the museum - is grammatically correct, it doesn �t sound natural to most native speakers!

Lindsey

21 Aug 2010     

kodora
Greece

I can �t have an opinion on that since I �m not a native speaker.What I wrote is based on
A Practical English Grammar by Thomson and Martinet.
Dora

21 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Ahhhhh!
The beauty of the English language.
Isn �t that the reason that most of us teach it?
There can �t be another language like it, can there?

21 Aug 2010     

Amandina
Switzerland

Thanks to all of you! You �re simply the best! Smile

21 Aug 2010