Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A question ...    

A question ...

pink4 (Virginia)
Uruguay

A question ...

Dear teachers,
How would you call the group of words which includes: apron, oven mitts, dish towel, tablecloth, napkin etc. things which are related to cooking, eating, etc.
Thanks in advance. Big smile
Hugs from Uruguay.

25 Aug 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Kitchen vocabulary or kitchen words maybe?

25 Aug 2010     

viccxx
Greece

Hi!

you call forks, spoons, knifes and such cutlery
all the items that go on the table (cutlery, dishware, glasses, etc) are are called crockery
You could call the tablecloth and towels and such table linen though I �m not sure about the last one, maybe a native speaker will help more

25 Aug 2010     

Errie
Japan

Hello,

I would also say kitchen vocabulary. It seems the most logical name for these items.

25 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Specialty shops which sell all these things for the kitchen advertise them as �kitchenware

25 Aug 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I  don �t know that we have a non-commercial single collective noun that includes tablecloths and oven mitts and aprons and kitchen towels.  Of course kitchenware as suggested by Apodo is used commercially, but I don �t think it is usual to use that word in the home.

I would call some of them cooking items (as pictured in this cooking set) http://www.bambinipronto.com.au/database/images/cooking-set-main-663.jpg,

I would call some of them dining accessories
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/home-garden/shop-by-room/dining-room/dining-accessories

Of course the collective terms that viccxx are correct, but each term onlhy covers part of the items that you are asking about.  I don �t think we have an umbrella term that covers all of them except the suggestion by Lina Ladybird to say Kitchen vocabulary or perhaps "Kitchen and dining vocabulary".

Pink 4, do you have one word (non-commercial) in your language that includes all of the items you asked about in one collective noun?

25 Aug 2010