Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > APOLOGY    

APOLOGY

anitarobi
Croatia

APOLOGY

Dear colleagues,
yesterday, in a reply to a post request for help, I used an odd phrase without even being aware of it. I practically literally translated a phrase from Croatian and said that the length of my reply just �pokes my eyes �(non-existent in English, and poke one �s eyes out means sth too eerie). I must have been tired not to even have noticed it, but Apodo warned me about it. Thanks, Apodo, and sorry everyone else. I do apologize - if anyone should be careful with use of English, that �s teachers of English.
Anita

25 Aug 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Anita,

I remember your answer, because you sent it to me. ;))

When I read it, at first I didn �t know what you mean, but since there is a similar phrase in German, I managed to understand it.

I don �t think that you wrote something bad or offensive though. I guess most people haven �t even understood the meaning behind your words, so nobody will be offended.

Thanks for being so thoughtful anyway - Silke

25 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Anita

I didn�t think your expression was offensive, but then again it might mean different things in different countries so really I can only speak for the area that I live in. To me, it was fine. BTW, you didn �t use out on the end and that can change the meaning.

I think LL is correct; most won�t understand the meaning behind your words.  So you needn�t worry.  Life�s too short to worry about such things anyway.

Cheers

Jayho

25 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thanks, you guys(well, gals). I just wanted to straigthen things out.

25 Aug 2010     

serene
Greece

Don �t worry, Anita! We use the same expression in Greek to refer to something whose appearance is disturbing or unpleasant. Nothing offensive about it. Smile

25 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Well, I �m glad it wasn �t offensive. But it was incorrect English nevertheless.Confused

25 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I can �t think of an English equivalent.....but now I have an idea what it means. 8-)

26 Aug 2010