Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

lshorton99
China

Word of the Day

Hi everyone

Today �s word is: floccinaucinihilipilification (yes - it is a real word!)

Let �s see what kinds of guesses we get for this! As usual, no posting dictionary definitions but feel free to invent any meaning you wish!

Lindsey

27 Aug 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

Aw, c �mon! You made that up. It doesn �t mean anything.

27 Aug 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

hahhaa.....Stern Smile
I guess it �s the name of the disease when people are unable to pronounce long words smoothly...something like that...yeah.

27 Aug 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Almaz: Very funny!

I think you have made it up to make us believe it �s one of the longest words in the English language! But this is a totally worthless attitude Lindsey!! Do you really think we are that na�ve and credulous??Wink 
Here is one of the longest words pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis and I guess
this is totally
floccinaucinihilipilificative

27 Aug 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

cool...must be the longest word in the dictionary..ha ha ha!LOL

flocci... part of it sounds like a a fluffy carpert we have...flocata...

27 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

lol... it does exist and while I can�t remember what it means, my boyfriend does!! In fact, he tried to get me to pronounce the darn thing and I gave up after the 4th try! LOL

But anyways, I think it means to be vaccinated against fluffy carpets. lol

27 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

putting something in pill form, but I �m not sure what hmm..

Somehting that has been made into a pill that you can set on the ground, add water and ..Presto..you have a flokati

27 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hello everybody!
Ooh! Ooh! can I play?
I like this game... Hmmm. Let �s see...
It �s obviously some kind of code... If i just add this letter here, take away this one
Ahhh! that �s better

Flossingnowseenasahillbillyfixation!
Yep, that sounds about right...Big smile

27 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I love Frank �s word, he �s made it much more readable!

As to me, I am able to see only nihil and -fication there, so to me the word means annihilation of something totally mysterious.

27 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Not so difficult, is it ??

Flocci = from flock ( crowd) / cinauci = related to cinemaConfused / nihili(sm) = nothing has value / pili = Greek letter made longer Dead

floccinaucinihilipilification = Greek habit of queueing up in front of a cinema & thinking the movie is no good. Approve

27 Aug 2010     

frenchfrog
France

Another of Mary Poppins �s magical formulas, like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? LOL

By the way, Lindsey, would you, by any chance, be a floccinaucinihilipilificatrix? LOLLOL

27 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >