Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > I need help     

I need help

Carlota_24
Poland

I need help

Dear Teachers,

I give private lessons to several students and it �s nothing extraordinary in it but today I �ve got an offer to teach English to a mother and her two children (9 and 11 years old) at the same time. They �re going to Norway to settle there and they want to learn English to communicate well in basic situations in life (at the restaurant, in a shop, etc.). The problem is that I �ve never taught three people (an adult and kids) at the same time and I would like you to suggest some ideas, the way of teaching , anything that comes to your mind. The main skills to concentrate on should be speaking and listening and a lot of vocabulary of course. I �ve got some ideas but I �m sure you can come up with some fantastic ones. I hope you can help me because it �s important for me to make my students satisfied.
Any ideas are welcome here or on my e-mail :)
Thanks in advance,

Ewelina

27 Aug 2010      

douglas
United States

Because it is a family, you will have to first go there before you can get a feel for the group dynamic.

One thing I would suggest though is concentrate on "moving-in" English even more than travelers English.  They will need to be able to understand their gas and electricity bills and the names of the different offices they will have to visit.  Here is a link to the Norwegian Embassy in England that has a lot of useful information that you may be able to extarct some vocabulary and comprehension lessons from

Good luck, sounds like a fun teaching job.

Douglas

27 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Are they all beginners? Because if they are, I would suggest you use a lot of flashcards, games and word cards at first, expanding vocabulary by speaking only at first, then passive understanding of reading short texts, then active speaking.They �ll be doing a lot of speaking by miming you initially, then using �props �, so you have to use it a lot, in recognisable patterns of everyday conversation. I suggest using cards and games, because this is the way we teach children, and children will learn faster probably, as kids often do, whereas the mother will not be embarassed because it will seem as if you �redoing it as a game for the sake of the kids. I find that the biggest brake in adult brain is the feeling of shame, so use this kids � stuff to motivate the mom as well. Although, Douglas gave you the best possible advice - meet them first to get a feel for the group, and concentrate on teaching the vocab they �ll need.

27 Aug 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

I have adults in my classes which are geared for children. We generally let them do the same material that the children do. Talk to your adult and get a sense of what she expects from the class. You may want to provide her with extra material. Being the mother she will no doubt want to help her kids practice, prepare for and review your lessons. Ask her if she wants expansion material. Ask her how she prefers to learn and participate in the class. Find out what her level is.

I would not focus on topics like gas bills and the like if the kids are very young. They will not be interested. You may want to provide the mother with extra materials that cover such things, however. When they are in class together I would focus on listening comprehension, speaking simple, practical sentences and TOPICAL vocabulary expansion like you said. Roleplaying is great for this. Also, I would suggest giving them new conversational language sentences every lesson which they can gradually practice and build up every lesson if you review it with them. Pick sentences that are practical in everyday life or which go well with your lesson/topic for the day.

good luck!

27 Aug 2010     

Carlota_24
Poland

Thank you all for the response.
I �m still waiting for other suggestions.
Have a nice evening :)

Ewelina

27 Aug 2010