Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Should docx be allowed?    

Should docx be allowed?

zailda
Brazil

Should docx be allowed?

I �m wondering if it would be possible to allow uploads in docx format. It �s a compressed version of a word document and will take less space in the server.

In addition, we have to struggle with size problems (especially when it comes to PPT) because files created with word 2007 features tend to increase to a huge size when converted to word 97 so we have to remove all the boxes and WordArt and re-insert them after converting to ppt 97.

I know that most of the members still use word 97, but there �s a Microsoft release that enables Office 97 to open and edit docx format, and also to save them in pdf format.

You can download and update your Office 97 here.

If Victor accepts this suggestion he could also add a banner in the main page with a warning like: "if you use Office 97, please update it here to enable it to open all the files shared in this site" and provide the Microsoft link.

Just my 50 cents.

Have a nice day.

7 Sep 2010      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i just hope victor will take it into account, it would  be great that the site catch up with technology

8 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Zaildinha my dear
Hope you �re fine

I have to say that I agree with you ( I wonder why  )   Thumbs Up

I  have been badly educated as far as it concerns with uploading light documents , so, when I started this stuff of net, moodle, blogs, bla, bla,  bla , I could ( was allowed to ) upload things 2 or 3 Mb, either ppt, words or whatever.
It has ever been a struggle for me to downsize my works.
Some now and then I get some spare time and I make , well, kind of a second version, to upload here, but most of the times, sorry, but I act just like a very rich teacher who doesn �t need to bother about space in the server, speed of "my aunt Net " and   .doc / .docx.

When I started and where I started, we have some more freedom, no such difficulties.

I DO HOPE THAT THE TAXES I PAY TO MY GOVERNMENT may be well used here, if not in so many other urgent aspects.

Now, as it concerns to this marvelous site, well, I am sure that Victor will keep on updating the capacities of this site as soon as he feels he can and , the majority of us is able to.

So, ZAILDINHA, it goes like this , you won 5 points in 5.
Let �s wait for our master, Victor.
Big Kiss Zailda
( long time no see, no pms, no nothing, I �m feeling Censored about you )
Take care Hug
Linda

8 Sep 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

Wonderful Idea. I strongly agree with you. Hope that Victor will take into concideration.
take care.

8 Sep 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I agree with you Zailda!

8 Sep 2010     

hieu_ngoc
Canada

Yes, docx please! I use Office �07, but when I want to upload files, I must re-create them again as �97 files.

8 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

"A few years ago, Microsoft completely changed its proprietary method of writing document (.doc) files to a completely different (.docx) method for Microsoft Office 2010. Unlike the dot-doc method, the dot-docx method has not caught on. That means that simply reading a document created by Microsoft Word in the past three years could be a trial."

I just wonder if the docx-format is here to stay. How many members are actually using it? (I �m not) I think .doc format is the easiest to reach everyone. I don�t think many members would download docx documents.

8 Sep 2010     

hieu_ngoc
Canada

I like docx because you can save files as .pdf documents. This conversion-to-.pdf feature is especially useful with PPT files. In my case, when I find a a great PPT presentation, for example a PPT presentation with awesome images, I could convert the PPT file into a .pdf document. It is so much better for printing and making flash cards.

8 Sep 2010     

alexa25
France

Hi everyone,

As many of you, I �ve also had a lot of hassle making my worksheets "light" and converting them into .doc without losing their initial aspect and contents. Or again downloading a worksheet on the site and when I open it on my computer it �s all just a messy pile of images and text...
So yes, I find Zailda �s suggestion great!
I could also make another suggestion: .odt, it �s Open Office, a free package that most French schools decided to use and which works very well. It also has the advantage of being lighter than Word. And I �ve read on the Net that it opens .docx files.
Any solution would be wonderful. I must admit I upload less and less worksheets on the site because it �s so time consuming to format them...

I hope the beginning of this new school year is great for all of you! Cheers,

Cristina

8 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I �m sorry, but I �m not so hip on the idea.  I. like many people here, do not use Word 07 and don �t plan on upgrading anytime soon.  Uploading .docx files will only cause me a lot of extra problems and hassles.

Sorry.

8 Sep 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I �m with douglas!!!

8 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >