Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "I hope you WILL like it", or" I hope you like it"?    

"I hope you WILL like it", or" I hope you like it"?

yolprica
Spain

"I hope you WILL like it", or" I hope you like it"?

Hello everybody, I have always used "I hope you will like it" but I guess the other sentence is also correct. If so, are there any differences?
Thanks in advance for your help
Yolanda

7 Sep 2010      

Zora
Canada

In my opinion, both mean the same thing.

7 Sep 2010     

5puravida5
Costa Rica

Hello Yolanda,

I �m a native English speaker and I would tend to say, "I hope you like it." Orally, I think it is more common as in "I hope you like it right now." There is a difference grammatically in that "will" is "future tense". "Will" is used as an assumption that will take place in the future...you are assuming that we will like it. But both are correct. 
Hope this helps...or hope this will help. You get the picture, I �m sure. :)
Cheryl

7 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi

I don �t know if there �s a difference in meaning, but since Zora said it �s the same...

Grammatically I understand that we should use the present subjunctive after "to hope", as we do with "that clauses", even if we omit "that". I hope [that] you like it.

Correct me if I �m wrong.

8 Sep 2010     

yolprica
Spain

I learnt just the opposite; when we use verbs like hope, expect, etc... with a "that clause", the future should be used. But if native speakers say that both are correct, I assume they are right.

8 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

They are both correct. We use which ever makes our meaning clear.

I�m making you a new shirt. I hope you like it. - This implies when you see it in the future.

The only difference I can see is the context and what the person you �re speaking to already knows.

I bought him a new shirt. I hope he likes it. (This is not clear. He may have the shirt already, or you may have the shirt in your hands)

I bought him a new shirt. I hope he �ll like it.  (Will tells us he hasn �t got the shirt yet)

8 Sep 2010     

alexziaa
France

They are both correct.

8 Sep 2010     

fsams
Maldives

The use of WILL in English as far as I know, is more forceful so it would be better to avoid it when writing informal letters or articles. Orally we tend to avoid will when we speak, like "I hope he comes"....sounds more friendly/informal and is more appropriate in colloquial language.

However, I too agree that both mean the same and there are no grammatical errors in using the variants.

Thanks and hope it helps:)

Cheers,
Fsams

8 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

Both are okay--Cheryl �s answer explains it pretty well.

In this case "will" is not considered forceful--it �s not being directive.

8 Sep 2010