Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Answer    

Word of the Day Answer

franknbea
United Kingdom

Word of the Day Answer

Good Evening All!

Apologies for the late posting but these are busy, busy days
Today �s word was; Estrapade
The answer is; A horse �s attempt to remove its rider
Thanks again for all the funny answers
Yes, we could all go look it up and post the right answer
but who wants to be right when being wrong  is so much fun?

8 Sep 2010      

ditku
Poland

Oh really, Frank! :) Where do you take these words from?

8 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Ooouuuccchhhhhh!

Did I detect a hint of hostility there?

I make them up of course!

The point I was trying to make Ditku is that the answers are there for everyone to find
But the most fun in the game is having people using their creative minds and trying to make them into sensible answers. You end up with some very funny quotes that people can laugh about instead of just fifteen dictionary definitions. It isn �t meant to be a "who knows the most English words" contest. It �s meant to be a funny little game to nulify some of the negativity that we encouter everyday.
I hope this clarifies my earlier message and apologies for not being clear enough the first time...

8 Sep 2010     

ditku
Poland

Oh! Frank, I am truly sorry if it sounded like picking on you or something. I didn �t mean it. :)
What I wanted to say is that I am simply amazed by the vocabulary you present to us.
The question behind: "Where do you take these words from?" was rather: �Which books have you read to know this kind of specific words? �, not: �Why do you make me feel so stupid by presenting the words that I neither know, nor understand to me? �
Peace, Frank, peace! :)
I love your game.
Are we still friends? (say "yes" ]:->)

8 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Absolutely yes!
You see, I �m not that bright that I misunderstood youEmbarrassed
Please accept my apologies

8 Sep 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

There �s a thing now, Frank. It �s obviously pretty easy to look up the meaning of any word you choose to give - and, unfortunately, quite a few members here do just that presumably because they think it �s a race to see who can get the �correct � answer first. It kind of ruins the whole playful point of the game, so why not (drumroll, steady the buffs...) give a definition and see if our ultrasmart lieges can come up with the best word (made-up or otherwise).

An example: 

What do you call an ex-member of your pub quiz team who has joined another team but happily sidles over during breaks and innocently asks what you got for question 3 ( and 7, 15, 23 etc) then slimes over to his new team and gives them your answers? 

A Quizling. (and, yes, it was personal)

It could be a �rolling � game. The chosen �winner � of one game defines the next word and so on.

Feasible? Anyone?

I �m off for a few days to the Dear Green Place first thing in the morning. Have a lovely weekend, folks.

Alex

8 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Shouldn �t it be "quisling", dearest Alex? Wink

I hope you �ll have a nice time in Glasgow!! :) If only I could be there, too...

8 Sep 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Er, Silke, that was the joke (traitor + pub quiz, geddit?) and thank you, I shall endeavour to have as grand a time as possible.

Alex

BTW, tip of the hat,Silke, for sussing the reference to the �Dear Green Place � (Glaschu)

8 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

No, I obviously didn �t get that joke of yours, Alex... LOL If I had got it, I wouldn �t have attempted to correct you, would I? ;))

BTW, since I used to have a Scottish boyfriend (fianc� even) and some other contacts from Scotland, it was quite easy for me to suss the reference to the "Dear Green Place"! Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your compliment - I love getting compliments from you!! Big smile

9 Sep 2010     

ditku
Poland

Accepted. ;) :D

9 Sep 2010