Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pleaseeeeeee    

Pleaseeeeeee

Urpi
Peru

Pleaseeeeeee

Please today I was observed by my coordinator and she heard me asking the Ss
What would be the correct answer?
She told me to find out if it is correct or not so I asume she means that is not correct but I do not know whyConfused
Thanks

9 Sep 2010      

libertybelle
United States

What would be the correct answer is perfect.

(Tell your coordinator that you got it from a native speaker.  Sounds like this person just wants to make you feel unsure about yourself.  Don �t be!)

L

9 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

She may be looking for "What is the correct answer?"  "What would be...?" leaves the impression that the correct answer could be different depending on different influences or conditions.

"If it was Sunday, the answer would be that there is no school today."

"If it was Monday, the answer would be that there is school today."

9 Sep 2010     

Urpi
Peru

Tongue Yeah I was wondering is my English that bad? LOL
Thanks Liberty

9 Sep 2010     

eng789
Israel

What would the correct answer be?  is also a possibility - isn�t it?????

9 Sep 2010     

ISAVELUCHITA
Argentina

the correct form is "what would the correct answer be? because the correct answer is the subject.

9 Sep 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agree with Libertybelle! Being a coordinator myself, I �d never point that out to any of the teachers !! IMHO you should tell her the "correct" form, anyway, just to keep her happy .... and then tell her that a native speaker told you it IS correct ! She may learn sth too !

9 Sep 2010     

tancredo
Portugal

The difference is between what is grammatically correct (What would the correct answer be?) and what everybody would say (what would be the  correct answer? )
Both would be possible, I think.

You form the conditional interrogative by changing the order of the subject, isn �t it? 
Ex: What would you say?  What would the solution be? where would you go... ?

Am I wrong?

9 Sep 2010     

tancredo
Portugal

The difference is between what is grammatically correct (What would the correct answer be?) and what everybody would say (what would be the  correct answer? )
Both would be possible, I think.

You form the conditional interrogative by changing the order of the subject, isn �t it? 
Ex: What would you say?  What would the solution be? where would you go... ?

Am I wrong?

9 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi,

The typical word order in a question would be "helper - subject - verb", unless it �s a subject question, which has no helper.

I think the real challenge here is to explain to your teacher why you chose your version ;o)))) and to convince her (it �s a "she", right? ;o))) that you knew the other one as well.

9 Sep 2010