Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Your opinion about something?    

Your opinion about something?

Zora
Canada

Your opinion about something?

Hi people,

As many of you know; I have started up an ESL forum for teenagers and young people. But it has been brought to my attention that the site may not be the right place for adults to mingle. I was wondering how many people would be interested in a site just for adults to chat in English and exchange ideas?

I �d have no problem setting up a new site exclusively for adults but I would need to know if you think such a place would be a good idea or not; and if you think that your adult students might actually be interested (and use) such a place???

Warm regards,
Linda

10 Sep 2010      

t.javanshir
Australia

Hi,

I haven �t seen the original site that you �ve set up for teenagers, so if you could possibly give us the link so that we could have a look at the site, we can give better comments.

This site is for students, right?

I haven �t seen it but I think it would be a great idea to just rank the students according to their general proficiency in English so they can find partners to chat with more easily. You can define a united scale yourself  to rank students with regard to their level since the proficiency scales are different around the world.

In my personal opinion, however, why not? A place for adult students, also, can be a great help to them as well as a fun and motivating arena.

10 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Sent you a pm with the link.

10 Sep 2010     

starrr
Brazil

I approve the idea since my students are adults - high school and above. Please create it and let�s see what we can share there.Wink

Send us the LINK when you do it. Hugs ;-0)

10 Sep 2010     

poki
Slovenia

I love the idea too, since I teach only adults! :) Please let me know the link to the site.
Have a nice day.
Polona

10 Sep 2010     

LA LUNA
Mexico

Yesterday I talked about it with my university ss. Unfortunately they were not really excited about the idea of chatting with teenagers :( I tried to convince them that the whole idea of this is to practice their English and they just said that if the site were for adults or other unviersity students they would be happy to be part of it. So the setting of a new site for adults would be more suitable for my ss. Thanks so much for the effort you �re doing. I do really appreciate it :)Clap

Zoila (la luna) ;)

10 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hmm... I think that Zoila�s post has just made up my mind for me. I will get down to starting up a new site today. It should be up by some time next week... And pls keep sending me your opinions or views on the idea. Smile

Hugs,
Linda

10 Sep 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Hi Linda

It sounds a great idea. My students may well be interested.

KUP

Happy Weekend!

Colibrita

10 Sep 2010     

juliag
Japan

That would be great, I think my adults would rather participate in a forum than my teenagers, and of course if they are talking to other adults they would enjoy it all the more.

Would it be possible to maybe have graded chat times or pages - beginners, lower-elementary, upper-elementary, lower-intermediate and so on? I think then my lower level students would feel more confident about taking part.

Thank you so much for your wonderful effort and have a lovely weekend.

10 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi Julia,

I think the best way to have the chat is not segregating the board in any way. I know the idea sounds good but because it is not in "real time" people can take their time answering a post - like we do here.

In fact, if you look here - there are teachers with all kinds of levels. And this interaction of very good with mediocre, mixed with a dash of the "crazy wisdom" of "us natives" (*feel like doing a rain dance every time I say this* lol )   allows others to improve their language/word/expression skills without even trying...

The Internet gives many people a sense of security because they are behind a screen, at home, and they don�t actually need to "talk" to anybody, only express themselves on a screen. So for the shy ones or insecure ones, it is actually a very good means of communication.  Smile

10 Sep 2010     

juliag
Japan

Naruhodo ne, as they say over here, it kind of means I get you now.
Now you put it to me like that it seems like there �s no need for segregation at all and it might even hinder learning. I �ll definitely tell my stduents and hope that they will give it a try.

As for native wisdom, I don �t think I have any of that! But a rain dance sounds great fun as long as there �s no one around to watch...

10 Sep 2010