Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > The Lifetime Story ( A good English Story with a Moral)    

The Lifetime Story ( A good English Story with a Moral)

Nebal
Lebanon

The Lifetime Story ( A good English Story with a Moral)

Good morning dear teachers,

I would like to share with you this story since it could be a good English resource used in your classes. Personally, I discuss with my students stories with morals where all story elements are exposed esp. the theme . So, I thought you might be doing the same. Hope you like the story and find it useful in your classes.

I shared it in the cafe too, but since not many of you visit the cafe, I thought of posting it here. Thanks for understanding my attitude. 

The Lifetime Story

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican fishing village.

A tourist complimented the local fishermen
on the quality of their fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long." they answered in unison.

"Why didn �t you stay out longer and catch more?"
The fishermen explained that their small catches were sufficient to meet their needs and those of their families.

"But what do you do with the rest of your time?"
"We sleep late, fish a little, play with our children, and take siestas with our wives.
In the evenings, we go into the village to see our friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs.   We have a full life."

The tourist interrupted,"I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day.
You can then sell the extra fish you catch.
With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."
"And after that?"
"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to   Mexico Cit y , Los Angeles , or even   New York City ! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" 
"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years." replied the tourist.

"And after that?"
"Afterwards? Well my friend, that �s when it gets really interesting, " answered the tourist, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fishermen."After that you �ll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast,
sleep late, play with your children,
catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."  
"With all due respect sir, but that �s exactly what we are doing now. So what �s the point wasting twenty-five years?" asked the Mexicans.

And the moral of this story is:
Know where you �re going in life....
you may already be there!!

Nebal
P.S. Am sorry for the big space.

11 Sep 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi Nebal!
I was just reading your story at the Caf�, & was about to copy & paste it! Big smile I �m sure I �ll use it!Thumbs Up
I don �t know if you people remember Kate �s quiz : We had to complete sentences such as : Never in my life have I .... / When I look down I see.../ There �s this guy I know who... etc. I pmed Kate to thank her for this! I made a ws out of it - & deleted some parts I could not ask teenagers (!) : It was a big success, & they loved it! We got fantastic & funny answers ;o)))

HugSylvie

11 Sep 2010     

yogiba61
Spain

I loved your story Nebal. I �m going to use it in my classes. Thank you very much.

11 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

so worth the space and a good ws! thank you

11 Sep 2010     

epit
Turkey

Dear Nebal ,this story is very nice .Thank you so much

11 Sep 2010     

veljaca82
Australia

lovely story! thank you for sharing it with us!

11 Sep 2010     

kate0611
Korea, South

great story

11 Sep 2010     

Friedfam
Israel

How true........ thanks for posting it Nebal.

11 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

My dear little one

What a splendid lesson - so much time we spend around for nothing.

Our life is where we are, we just have to look and see.

�ve just copied and  pasted.
What a lesson!!!!!

BIG hug and bigger kiss
Linda

11 Sep 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

It may be publicity, I know, but... I LOVE THAT STORY!!! I actually made a worksheet with it...

11 Sep 2010     

olaola
Italy

thanks!!!!!

11 Sep 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >