Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HELLO EVERYONE!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!    

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Mar0919
Mexico

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hello everyoneeeeeeee!!! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend, had a chance to relax and reload energies for tomorrow!!!!

I need some help, please. I will be working with my students the forms to change nouns into adjectives by adding suffixes: ous, y, ly, ful. 

But, I KNOW more than one student will ask me, if there is a "rule" or guide to know which suffix to add. And I hate to say, I really don �t know. I just "know" which suffix to add, but I really never learned (blessed Alzheimer) any specific rule for this.

Does anyone know if there is actually a rule for this grammar point? 

And, does anyone have a ws uploaded with exercises for this that I can download? It would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance! and enjoy what �s left or our Sunday!!!

Hugs,

Mar 

13 Sep 2010      

hdefined
United States

There is no rule, and no logical reason why "wonderful" isn �t "wonderly," or "matronly" isn �t "matronous," or "flighty" isn �t "flightful," etc. etc.

13 Sep 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, hdefined... now I don �t feel as bad, not to know!!!

Anyone else have any comments on this???

Mar

13 Sep 2010     

hdefined
United States

It could actually have to do with the languages they were derived from. While I don �t know and haven �t stopped to think about it, certain endings could be paired with words derived from Greek, Latin, German, etc.

But today, when all those words have come together to form the lingual mishmash that is the English language, tracing those origins in order to determine a "rule" about how those suffixes are derived would be even more work than simply memorizing the suffixes.

13 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

and to make it worse, the suffixes are sometimes added many years after the root word entered the language, so they wouldn �t necessarily follow any rule that might have been in force.

Bruce

13 Sep 2010     

marta v
Serbia

Dear Mar,

I �m not aware of any specific uniform rules, but if you send me your e-mail address, I can attach a worksheet of mine that I made a while ago that provides a longish list of almost all suffixes with their meanings and examples, so let THEM figure out a rule if they can! They �ll never ask you the question again, I bet!

13 Sep 2010     

eaglestar
Philippines

Thanks for all these enlightening inputs. Would love to have a copy of that, too, Marta, if it �s possible. Cheers!

13 Sep 2010