Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Classroom language    

Classroom language

chiaras
Italy

Classroom language

After reading some worksheets about classroom language I �m no longer sure about some expressions I have always used....can you help me please?

1- on page-at page-to page
I �ve always said "on page", for example "open your book on page 25", but in some worksheets I �ve found "at page" or even "to page". Now I �m wondering which one is correct....

2- "What do we have to do?"-"What shall we do?"
I �ve always taught my pupils this way of asking about things they are supposed to do: "Shall we start?" "What shall we do?" "Shall I read?" and so on, but I �ve seen more than one worksheet using the form "What do we have to do?".  I know it exists and it is correct, but I �d like to know which form is more appropriate in the classroom. I �m a bit confused after reading other peoples � worksheets....Ermm
Thank you!!
Chiara

13 Sep 2010      

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Chiara,

Regarding your first doubt, check the following:

Many dear members discussed this confusion. Hope it helps !!
Nebal

13 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

"open to page"

"You will find it on page

"have to" does not really give them an option, it is more directive than "shall/should"

edit: seeing Nebal�s post, I see it could be that I am using US English here.

13 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Open your books at page 28.
Turn to page 28.
On page 28 there is ......

What do we have to do?  
Students can ask this if they are not sure about the instructions on the worksheet.

A teacher can ask �What do we have to do to make this word plural? �  - We have to add �s �

The other examples you have given Shall we start?" "What shall we do?" "Shall I read?"  are quite correct.

13 Sep 2010     

chiaras
Italy

Thank you so much Nabel and Douglas!

My teachers have always said "open your book on page", even if in Italian we do not use "on" in this case, so I really do not know where it comes from!How lucky I was to find some worksheets using it in the right way...at least I started wondering...and now I know exactly what is right and what is wrong.

As to my second question, I understand what you mean Douglas, because I know the meaning of "Have to", but which one would you use in your class, as native speaker I mean?

Thank you Apodo too...I�ve just seen your post!

13 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

It �s probably better if the students use "shall we...".  If they use "have to..." it could come across as "Do we HAVE to...?"(very unmotivated/whining).

13 Sep 2010     

chiaras
Italy

Thanks again! Hug

13 Sep 2010     

lshorton99
China

Hi

I only teach �shall � in certain expressions, �have to � is more appropriate.

Interestingly enough, I was at a seminar a couple of years ago talking about English as an international language and �shall � was one of the examples given of words which will no longer exist in everyday English in the next 20 words (it was just a theory, in case anyone gets upset). The premise was that certain English words are not particularly useful for learners due to their lack of frequency and therefore, it is more effective and helpful for learners to use words that can be applied to multiple contexts easily.

I teach �shall � for oral discussions - �Shall I start � and at higher levels - upper-intermediate and above but all my classes learn �What do we have to do? � I consider it to be more appropriate in the context - they are asking what I require/want them to do. �Shall � would be more appropriate if they were discussing what to do in their free time.

Lindsey

13 Sep 2010     

stepman
United Kingdom

Hi,  shall in some cases is a form of negative politeness. A gentle way of giving an instruction or offering advice.

Teacher may say, �Shall we listen to Igor read or carry on making a noise? � when the teacher means stop talking and listen to Igor.  A class would understand this way of speaking and be quiet and listen to Igor.

Or, �Shall we read page 10? � when the teacher means, �Let �s read page 10. �

Shall can replace, �Would you like to ...? �

People unfamiliar with negative politeness may respond with a blunt, �No. �

�We have to read page 10, �  can sound as if even the teacher doesn �t want to but it has to be done.

John

13 Sep 2010     

chiaras
Italy

Thanks to everybody! I don �t want to bother you further with classroom language, but would you teach your students "I �m finished" or "I �ve finished"? I know "I �m finished" is more colloquial.
Chiara

13 Sep 2010