Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Do you like working with 3D objects?    

Do you like working with 3D objects?

blunderbuster
Germany

Do you like working with 3D objects?

Hi,

I was wondering about your experiences with 3D objects like cubes, octahedra, etc. Is it too much work to make them, laminate them, glue them together, protect them from unexpected (student) forces?

When do you think they are too big? 20 faces, 30 faces, 60 faces? I am thinking about making one with 60 faces, I just don �t know if I should......

Also, do you prefer dominos or board games? I know that board games are easier to use, but what advantages might a domino or a cards game have over a board game?

In general, apart from ws, what other "touchable" resources are you successful with?

Regards

13 Sep 2010      

arlissa
United States

My students like card games and "trivia" games (obviously the trivia is adapted to their level).

We also sometimes use rubberbands to help understand proper pronunciation and placement of emphasis. The students mimic my action by saying a word and stretching the rubber bands to match the syllables/emphasis. For example: say the word "congratulations" and stretch the band a short distance for syllables "con," "gra,"  and "tu" then stretch the rubber band very wide for "la" then short again for "tions." If students are kinesthetic learners this activity may help them relate the word emphasis with the action of stretching the rubber band.

Another game with objects involves making sentence scrambles. I write up a variety of sentences at their level, then print on heavy paper with space between each word. Then cut the words apart and give partner pairs a sentence to unscramble and correctly form the sentence. It can be a timed competitive game by keeping tabs on the board of which teams have gotten the sentence correct first the most number of times.

Well, these are just a few suggestions I can think of. I �m not sure in what way you are using the polyhedron objects you are thinking of making. However, it sounds like it might be easier to purchase something pre-made if it �s going to have 20+ surfaces.

13 Sep 2010