Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > AE vs BE Business card    

AE vs BE Business card

douglas
United States

AE vs BE Business card

Hi all,

A recent post just made me wonder about a possible difference between British and US English that I hadn �t previously noticed.

In the USA we leave our "business card" (a small, wall�t card with our personal/contact information on it).
 I have also heard these called "calling cards"

Could it be that they are also called "visiting cards" in British English?

Thanks,
Douglas

14 Sep 2010      

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hi, Douglas.
Visiting cards are the Be equivalent for Business Cards(AmE).
In both you can find the name of the company, the type of business(computer assistance, advertising,...), the name of the person, his/her role in the company(director, sales manager,...), the no of telephone, email contact.
Hope it helps!:-)

14 Sep 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Take a look at Lina -Ladybird �s first link.Here we have a lot of nice business cards/visiting cards  for roleplays !They seem to be very useful!

Take care!

14 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hey, Douglas! ;))

Actually, I do use both words interchangeably.

Check this:

BTW, I didn�t know that they�re also called "calling cards" in American English...

Best wishes - Silke

14 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hey Douglas,
Actually they haven �t been called visiting cards for sometime in the UK.
The only time the term is still used in in high society circles and even then it �s archaic.
"The visiting card, also known as a calling card first appeared in Europe in the 17th century and quickly became an indispensible tool of etiquette.
The visiting card is no longer the universal feature of upper middle class and upper class life that it once was in Europe and North America. Much more common is the business card"
Hence nobody in England says "here �s my visiting card."  But "Here �s my card." or "here �s my business card."

Having said all this I probably moved in the wrong circles when living in England and therefore never witnessed anyone saying visiting card.LOL

14 Sep 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

The only time in my whole life (and that �s been a long time) when I have heard anyone use the expression "calling card" was my grandmother (born 1898!) who used to say,
"Oh no, the bird �s left its calling card." Translated this meant that a bird had shit on someone.
So I personally would never, never use anything other than business card.
Had to share this.Wink
Cheers Joy

14 Sep 2010     

lshorton99
China

I �ve never heard visiting card either - British English (for once) appears to be the same as American English in that we use business cards! Of course, as Frank said - I may not move in the right circles!

Lindsey

14 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

Thanks all.  Your answers pretty much confirm what I suspected.  I only use "business card" and have heard "calling card" used more often in the way Joy explained it. 

The German word for business card is Visitenkarte which directly translates to "visiting card" so I always assumed the term was just a mistake in translation.  I just wanted to confirm my suspicions.

Thanks!
Douglas

14 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

I may be revealing my age here, but when I was young there were still vestiges of calling cards about where I lived.

A calling card at that time was similar to a business card, but it was on very nice stock and was engraved--in a formal style of cursive type, usually--with just a person �s full name.

The idea was that when you went to someone �s home and they weren �t there, you left a calling card with the butler (or whatever) to let the person know you �d been by.  (Developed in days before email, phones, etc.)  Or you �d leave them at a large reception or tea for the same reason, particularly if there had been no formal receiving line.

I had been given to believe that business cards were later developed from calling cards.

14 Sep 2010