Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > using a comic strip in a WS: is it against the rules?    

using a comic strip in a WS: is it against the rules?

perma
Greece

using a comic strip in a WS: is it against the rules?

Hi all!

I made a WS yesterday which I used with my students today. Since it worked pretty well I thought I might as well share it with you here. There is a (possible) problem though: the reading part of the WS is 2 pages scanned from an Asterix comic, with the speech bubbles slightly changed to meet my students � needs.  Of course that �s not all, I �ve made my own vocabulary and grammar tasks related to the reading part. 

I wonder if that �s against copyright laws and the rules of the site. What do you think? Obviously part of the WS is taken from another source, obviously it �s copyrighted. On the other hand it �s something well known, which I �m not claiming as my  own and I �m not making a profit out of it (nor will be anyone from the people who might download it). And I �ve added my own tasks. 

What do you think? If you think it �s ok, I �ll go ahead and upload it one of these days. I wouldn �t ask in advance, but I �ll go into some trouble to upload it here (compressing pictures, saving in different format etc)

Waiting for your answers!

14 Sep 2010      

douglas
United States

I �m sorry to say, but it sounds like there would be copyright problems.

14 Sep 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

The producers of Asterix are EXTREMELY strict where copyright issues are concerned. We �d better be careful here. 

14 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Perma, I have an idea,

You could upload the ws with the comic strip, get your points, then you could update the ws without the comic strip and direct people to the online address where the strip can be found so people can get it themselves.

Most publishers allow you to use a certain amount of strips to use as long as you only use them within your classroom.

Calvin and Hobbes, however, MUSTN �T be used under any circumstances whatsoever.

Regards

14 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi Perma,
I �ve just been searching the publishers �copyrights...I must say it �s not very clear...Here is what I found : You may use single pics for non-commercial use only , but you cannot use, upload nor alter whole pages from their comics. I agree with elderberrywine : I know they �re very strict. So, you �d better be carefulWink
Sylvie
Ps : I had the same idea a few years ago, & used their albums with my kids ( changing some speech bubbles...I would not upload it here, but it �s just MHO ;o))

14 Sep 2010     

perma
Greece

thanks for all your answers!
pity, but it seems it isn�t a good idea to upload them here after all.
i�m not sure it would be feasible anyway, it�s a vEEEry big file!
thanks again Smile

14 Sep 2010     

debk2000
United States

Hello Perma,

I realize I don �t have many points so maybe my opinion doesn �t hold much weight.  However, is it possible to upload your work without the actual comic strip and just give a link to the comic strip (that is if it �s available online)?  I think one user sort of suggested this already.  This wouldn �t seem to be breaking any copyright laws since you wouldn �t have the actual comic strip on the worksheet.  That way you can get some points and we and our students can benefit from your hard work!

Just a thought,
Deb :)

15 Sep 2010     

perma
Greece

Hi Deb!
can �t do that! the comic is scanned and I don �t think you can find it anywhere on the web for your students. Legally at least! 
If you are particularly interested you can pm me your email and i �ll try to send it to you. I say "I �ll try" because my email provider also has some size limitations and I think the file exceeds them. 

15 Sep 2010