Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help me please!    

Help me please!

szamoca
Hungary

Help me please!

Dear Colleagues,
 I �m just correcting some compositions and some of my Ss copied pharagraphs from the internet. I wonder what do you do if you realise anything like this?
I usually ask them to tell a few things about the text they �ve handed in and then it turns out everything. They get a bad mark.

One more thing:
Please tell me if the following sentence is correct

Teachers have to be a match for the group!

thanks

18 Sep 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Honestly, this calls for a regulatory measure. 

18 Sep 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

usually, when I ask my pupils to write a text about a particular subject - let �s say a biography of their favourite actor - I always say before they start working on it "if it �s not your own work you will get a 0" (so that they know they can �t copy and paste a text from a website, or ask a friend to write it for them) - obviously they are allowed to find information on the internet, but they must never copy and paste a text - or worse: write a text in french and then translate it with google...

18 Sep 2010     

puddyd
Oman

Get them to hand in their first draft/brainstorm/rough copy, together with their final copy and tell them that there are marks for everything and more for the rough version showing how they edited it and better still have them peer edit and get the ss to sign it.
Good luck it �s always difficult, but if you give them the zero they deserve for plagiarsm, they �re not going to try it again in a rush.

18 Sep 2010     

szamoca
Hungary

Thanks all of you! Good idea puddyd!

What about the sentence?It is from one of my intermediate S �s composition that she wrote on why to choose teachership.

My problem is with the expression a match for.
Can teachers be a match for their groups? It just doesn �t sound good. I �ve checked the dictionary, googled itLOL but I �m not convinced that it �s correct.

18 Sep 2010