Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Beginners v Elementary Textbooks    

Beginners v Elementary Textbooks

colibrita
United Kingdom

Beginners v Elementary Textbooks

Hi Everyone

Just wondering your opinion on this:  how successfully can total beginners be taught by going straight to an elementary textbook instead of starting them on a beginners � one?

Have a lovely weekend!

Colibrita

18 Sep 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Colibrita,

I went from first semester Spanish at university straight to third semester. That was okay, a little harder at first, though. I was 25 when I did it and it happened because I wanted to. Total beginners, I don �t know, I �d give them at least 4-5 90-minute lessons......

Regards

18 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Depends on the group and situation. I �ve had a bad experience with forcing the beginners course, because people got demotivated (they passively actually knew most of the stuff and felt they lost time and money, although I enriched it with extra wss), and a good one with using the elementary book immediately, but a colleague of mine had quite the opposite - a group who claimed to be �false beginners � and wanted the elementary course, and then got really stuck on basics, because they just thought they knew stuff... Perhaps trying a simple placement test would help you decide - maybe give them the final test from the beginners book to see if they cover at least 70% of it well...

18 Sep 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Well, you could do it, and fill in all the gaps you discover they have with the wonderful worksheets on this site - it really depends on your students, as anitarobi said - if they are willing to bridge the gap and bright enough they will, and they might even get bored with a starter �s course; in my experience, good placement tests are difficult to find, since they don �t account for different approaches to vocabulary and grammar and you would have to fill in anyway - of course you would detect people who have no idea, but that �s all, I �m afraid.

19 Sep 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks for responding to my thread everyone. I �ve always skipped beginners � courses till now as they generally seem so simple, perhaps even patronising, and put my students straight into an elementary course. But as you say it really depends on the student as some real beginners are just overwhelmed by the elementary textbooks.

20 Sep 2010