Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Easter    

Easter

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Easter

Hello, dear friends and colleagues,�

I �d like to ask for your help once again.

How would you state the date of Easter as briefly as possible? Except for "spring" please:-))) Thank a lot,�

mish

19 Sep 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Mish,
Forty days after Ash Wednesday?

19 Sep 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Hmmmm,�

Frank thank you, still, don �t you know how it is calculated according to a full moon in spring? This would probably be more understandable because we are mostly atheistic country and recognize this feast more as a spring holiday than a religious one. I found �some information but they differ:-( Moreover, I am so much afraid that it differs in Britain and US. Of course i could make a research and I usually do before I ask, but if that happened that anybody would know, it would save me a lot of time

19 Sep 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Would that be ok to write the first Sunday after the first spring full moon?

19 Sep 2010     

Aurore
France

you could say that but it wouldn �t make any sense to a native. I suppose that �s because Easter will always be a religious holiday 

19 Sep 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

I see. any ideas then?

19 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi mish.  Yes, it �s calculated as  the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox.

19 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi again Mish
Take a look at this site. I was fascinated...

19 Sep 2010     

Neru006
Argentina

Well I suppose that you can say that it is a religious festival that takes place 40 days after Ash Wednesday (which is after Carnival).  During Easter christians remember the passion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is not a Spring festival it is a religious one.

19 Sep 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@ BallyCastle: Thank you nicely for helping me and for confirming my thought

@ Frank: you are a fantastic and helpful member of this site, I can see it daily here. Thank you very much.�

@ Neru: Sorry to say that, but I disagree with you telling me that Easter is not a Spring festival but a religious one. I accept that it definitely is an important Christian feast but there were pagan celebrations predeceasing it. BTW: do you know where the word Easter came from?�

19 Sep 2010     

hdefined
United States

Easter IS a religious holiday. It has not become secular in the way that Christmas has.

20 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >