Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > TEACHING OLDER LEARNERS    

TEACHING OLDER LEARNERS

jucordeiro
Brazil

TEACHING OLDER LEARNERS

Hi dear teachers...

I have been working for 10 years and I have a large experience with adults and children. But last month I got a group of older people (more than 50 years old). They are in an intermediate level. I have prepared some activities and lesson plans, but I feel sometimes it �s not working...

I have researched a lot and found some articles on the net, but it was not enough for me... 
Has anybody ever worked with this kind of student? Any tips for me?

Thanks a lot!

XXX from Brazil

20 Sep 2010      

GIOVANNI
Canada

I have taught older people and have found that the main problem is hearing and vision.  Sometimes a person doesn �t hear well and that influences their ability to progress.  I have found that some are embarrassed to say they can �t hear properly and are also worried about making mistakes.  Try and place anyone who you think may have a problem in front of the class.  If they are in good health, I don�t think their ability is any different.

20 Sep 2010     

yulya_esl
Ukraine

With older students I try to do as many listening activities as I can. Also they don �t memorize new words as easy as younger ones, so i mainly concentrate on vocabulary.

Have a nice day!

20 Sep 2010     

puddyd
Oman

I �d do a needs analysis first together with a short nameless personal /getting to know you quiz, then try to satisfy as many needs as possible.
;-)

20 Sep 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Find out why they are studying English - for fun, for travel, for work? as well as doing a Needs analysis.  Discuss their expectations and preferences with regard to the classes.

20 Sep 2010     

Sweet Murren
Spain

I teach older students and find that, apart from wanting to learn, they also want to enjoy the lessons as part of a social activity. I often adapt activities which are actually meant for much younger learners (without being patronising!) and find that the students react very well.

Hope this helps.

20 Sep 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I have teached older students for many years ( and I still do) and I really can �t see any differences with younger ones. I would say the opposit. It �s much easier to get an adult to study than a teeager. Normally, when an older person studies a language, this person is really interested. They might not be able to memorize very well, but they are eager to learn.
I think you could do many speaking games and readings with oral questions. Ask them  questions about their lives and hobbies, family and so on. You will see that they will respond very well.
(By the way, I �m learning Spanish and I �m over 50).

20 Sep 2010     

poki
Slovenia

I work with groups of older people too (over 50 years old, mainly retired people). I mainly use worksheets form the ESL printables, but adapt them a little to suit their needs, and always use more "adult" cliparts (without Mickey Mouse or other childish pictures/cliparts Big smile). I work on vocabulary and a bit of grammar (just the basics), but the focus is on speaking, for example, how to order a meal in a restaurant, how to book a flight and so on. Things they can actually use when they go abroad or when they have to actually use their knowledge of English.

s.lefevre - I totally agree with you! I find it much easier to work with older students (over 50 years old) than with youngs. They come to my classes with so much enthusiasm, just wanting to get the class started. :)

20 Sep 2010