Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "a" Coke    

"a" Coke

Ratu
Argentina

"a" Coke

Good morning/afternoon/evening fellow teacher!!
I need your help!

When we are at a restaurant, for example, is it ok if we say "I want A Coke" "I want AN orange juice" I mean, using a/an with uncountable nouns.
I know that Coke and orange juice are uncountable nouns because they are liquids, but I think that when we are ordering something to drink, it is understood that we want a CAN of Coke or a GLASS of orange juice.

Am I right? Please help me ^^
Thanks in advance!

xoxo
Ale

20 Sep 2010      

foreverjinxed
South Africa

Yes, you are right. A (can of) coke. A (glass of) orange juice (AN orange juice)

In casual, spoken, first language English, we often say:

Please buy a (loaf of) bread. - a bread
Please buy a (carton of) milk. - a milk
please buy a (bottle of) water. - a water

20 Sep 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would say "I  would like a coke" and "I would like an orange juice" .   It is acceptable to say a coke and an orange juice, beause it is not necessary to add glass as it is understood.  I would not say I want because its a little demanding.  It would be more polite to use I would like.

20 Sep 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

I�d like a glass of orange juice, please, etc you can use as countable

20 Sep 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

but I  say  a  coke . I don�t think that coke is uncountable.

20 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

I �ve never used or heard "a bread" or "a milk" for "a loaf of bread" or "a carton of milk". We sometimes use "a" or "an" with single servings of uncountable items, usually liquids. So "a milk" could be used for a glass of milk, but it isn �t common for a carton (a quart or more) of milk. "A water" could refer to a glass or a single-serving bottle of water.

Bruce

20 Sep 2010     

Shurik
United Kingdom

I think Bruce and Giovanni explained this issue well. I teach at a University in Korea and my students sometimes ask me the same question. I tell them it is okay in a restaurant or cafe to ask for "a coke" or "a beer", but that they must be careful to only do this for single serving liquids.
Bread is something that my students try use in this way, but as far as I know it is impossible to ask for "a bread" in a restaurant or cafe.

20 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Coke - like coffee and beer - can be both countable and uncountable.

E.g. I don �t like coffee, but I like Coke and beer.
Two coffees, please. And two beers and a Coke. (ordering in a bar)

Mind you, when ordering beer in England you �d better say a pint (big glass) or a half (small glass) of Stella/Guinness/bitter/etc.

20 Sep 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

I wouldn �t ask for "a bread" in a restaurant, but my mom would ask me to buy "a bread" (a loaf of bread) at the shop. So, for really casual, spoken English (REAL English,) I think it �s OK.

20 Sep 2010     

bubblelulu_1
Peru

Dear collegues . WE ALL KNOW DO KNOW THAT SPOKEN ENGLISH IS DIFFERENT FROM THE WRITTEN ONE....SO IT IS OK TO SAY A COKE OR AN ORANGE JUICE.........

20 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I �m with Bruce: "a coke"--yes, "a bread"-no  "a milk"- only a single serving

20 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >